According to the web site (at cecm.sfu.ca) of programmers Stephen Braham and Terrance Yu, a fellow named Hiroyuki Goto holds the world record for memorizing the most digits of Pi. The feat required over nine hours for him to recite. Perhaps a bit to Goto’s chagrin, this handy URL features a little program that automates the task (it was devised by Braham and Yu in 1996). Digit by digit, Pi (aka 3.1415926 …) appears in all its mind-bending pattern-less-ness on your computer screen, and if your PC is audio-enabled a voice will read along — in your choice of a dozen or so languages, including French (the language of math), Cantonese, German, Hebrew, English and its variations (including a Cockney accent, as well as somewhat surreal Monty Python and Dr. Seuss terminology). Fans of the recent film ‘Pi’ know that the number can be cause for good tunes; the accompanying soundtrack, featuring music by Autechre and composer Clint Mansell, was a real treat. Braham and Yu’s Pi program explores the mathematical phenomenon’s musicality by allowing you to replace the spoken play-by-play with harpsichord tones. (Touch-tone and funny-noise variations are also available.) Let the program fly, and enjoy the tuneful extrapolations — but don’t bet on discerning any motifs in the available 2.5 million digits. (Note: occasionally the program fails to run — and in that case, check back later.)
5 Most Recent Comments
needles: "Noll’s compositions and performances under all of his names are other-level. "
Carolyn Jackson: "It’s not your imagination. The outfit was Laurie Spiegel inspired! "
Neil: "Great, interesting piece. Marc, have you thought about making the concept of ‘Bracket Sound’ a..."
Tom: "This is heavenly "
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0268 / Walking Music / Take a stroll and describe it in sound, paying tribute to the late manga great Jiro Taniguchi. • 0267 / The Metronomic Society / Create a theme song for a fictional organization. • 0266 / Vocal Cuts / Use segments of your own held vowel to make music. • 0265 / Kitchen Music / Record a piece of music that uses items from just one drawer. • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice