The lineup for the annual Resfest video festival has been announced. The touring fest starts on September 18 in San Francisco (res.com) with a party featuring Amon Tobin and RJD2. Res is a series of screenings of adventurous, creative videos, often with an electronic-music component. One screening, titled Cinema Electronica, celebrates the electronic-video intersection with 21 shorts, including efforts by Towa Tei, Kid Koala (the exceptional “Basic Street Blues” cut), Dan the Automator, Ken Ishii, DJ Shadow, Four Tet, Bjork, Cassius, Yoko Ono, Adam Freeland and others. A Michael Gondry retrospective will feature videos he has shot for Bjork, Radiohead, Chemical Brothers, Cibo Matto and others. Another event will focus on pieces by director Spike Jonze (Fatboy Slim, Beastie Boys). The group Daft Punk has collaborated with Leiji Matsumoto for Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem. After the SF dates (September 18 – 21), the festival heads to Washington, D.C., and then to New York, Chicago and elsewhere. … (2) In related news, Gondry and Jonze, along with director Chris Cunningham (Aphex Twin’s “Come to Daddy” and “Windowlicker”), conversed in the New York Times recently (“Music Videos That Show Everything but the Performance,” August 17). … (3) Among the speakers at the Music Video Wire conference on September 25 in Maitland, Florida (musicvideowire.com) is David Slade, who directed Aphex Twin’s “Donkey Rhubard” video and LFO’s “Tied Up.” … (4) Composer Cliff Martinez has scored most of Steven Soderbergh‘s movies and sadly few of anyone else’s. That seems to be changing. Following work on director Joe Canahan‘s Narc (and Soderbergh’s Solaris), he is attached to Wonderland (the story of porn star John Holmes, directed by James Cox) and Obsessed (a remake of the French thriller L’Appartement, to be directed by Paul McGuigan), according to IMDB.com. … (5) Jeff Samuel is another sound designer by day (for video games at Microsoft), electronic musician by night. The Seattle Weekly profiled him in its August 13 issue (“Passive Progression”).
5 Most Recent Comments
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice