Cambridge, Mass.-based musician Keith Fullerton Whitman, aka Hrvatski, occasionally posts MP3 files of outakes and works-in-progress on his reckankomplex.com website. The current item is what he calls “a completely alternate demo version” of “You Didn’t Look High Enough,” the original of which appeared on his 1999 collection, Oiseaux 96-98, due for re-release in an expanded edition on February 3, 2004 (he promises to pack it with extra material in MP3 format). Whitman describes this archival find as “replete with a zany dub breakdown & some dope ‘sound of ’96’ minimal amen-grunkerie, albeit scarred from nasty digital distortions (which we feel add to the experience). in one word: dope,” all packed into little more than four minutes. In other words, it’s a heavily constructed track, with familiar elements — the dub and the mid-’90s jungle percussion, for example — that are spliced together in a manner that draws attention to how distinct they are from one another. The dub is deep and earthy, the percussion erratic and mechanistic, and while either sound might be a tad dated, Whitman’s ear for keen edits, tribal momentum and spacious pauses is completely fresh. In the best meaning of the phrase, it’s a true kitchen-sink marvel, with what sounds like typewriter percussion preceding the more common, but still inventively cadenced, drum machine. Check out his home page, or access the file directly. (And read a past Disquiet.com interview with him here: “Army of One.”)
5 Most Recent Comments
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet. • 0268 / Walking Music / Take a stroll and describe it in sound, paying tribute to the late manga great Jiro Taniguchi.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice