For inclusion in Disquiet’s Downstream department, the Polish label Vivo has graciously uploaded two full-length MP3 tracks, one from each of its two most recent albums. “Daygan” is the first track on Amir Baghiri‘s new album, Yalda, and it’s something of an overture for the full recording, which is a trance-like amalgam of Middle Eastern percussion and atmosphere (information here: vivo.pl/amirbaghiri; track here). This particular track is more driving, more visceral, than others on Yalda, but there are tastes (drops of water, distant wails) of the gauze-like musical elements that have their own moments in the sun on the full-length recording. And the track “Zenzo” comes from the Zenial – Reworked album, a record that features remixes of music by Zenial (courtesy of KK Null and Zbigniew Karkowski, among others), and new works by Zenial himself (information here: vivo.pl/zenial; track here). This is an unremixed work, a slowly swelling piece featuring an eerily nattering vocal sample and a sonic halo of anxiety. Special thanks to label owner Janusz Leszczyñski, who runs Vivo from the city of Zambrow. (For more on Vivo Records, see the current issue of e|i magazine — ei-mag.com — for which I wrote an overview of the label. The article is reprinted on the Vivo site, here.)
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice