An album of science-fiction-themed electronic music from Canada, Pheek‘s new collection, Tabisuru Kokoro, is the latest release from Thinnerism Records. Thinnerism is a German label that distributes its music online as free sets of MP3s. Pheek is Jean-Patrice Remillard, a Montreal-based musician who favors the key ingredients in minimal house: the willfully tepid beats, the tiniest of riff-like elements (mechanical echo effects, bells so distant they could be from the next track), almost all of it composed from a select palette of staccato samples, with the occasional enlivening wash of sound across the stereo spectrum. The album is reportedly a tribute to the sci-fi film Silent Running, for which Peter Schickele (the classical-music parodist better known as PDQ Bach) wrote the score, and which also featured songs sung by folkie Joan Baez. The only apparent vocal on Pheek’s album is a spoken snippet, on the opening track (“There You Are”), of Silent Running star Bruce Dern. Tabisuru Kokoro contains nine tracks: six originals and three remixes, one each by Taho, Mateo Murphy and Jeff Bennett. It was uploaded to the Thinnerism website (thinnerism.com) on Tuesday, October 27, and is located here.
5 Most Recent Comments
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
needles: "Noll’s compositions and performances under all of his names are other-level. "
Carolyn Jackson: "It’s not your imagination. The outfit was Laurie Spiegel inspired! "
Neil: "Great, interesting piece. Marc, have you thought about making the concept of ‘Bracket Sound’ a..."
Tom: "This is heavenly "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet. • 0268 / Walking Music / Take a stroll and describe it in sound, paying tribute to the late manga great Jiro Taniguchi. • 0267 / The Metronomic Society / Create a theme song for a fictional organization. • 0266 / Vocal Cuts / Use segments of your own held vowel to make music. • 0265 / Kitchen Music / Record a piece of music that uses items from just one drawer.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice