Nishi means “west” in Japanese, and it’s also the name of a record label run by K.M. Krebs, the musician responsible for yesterday’s Downstream file (here). On October 24, Nishi released its two latest recordings, one of which, Lament for Lost Beats (here), is a 20-minute set said to have been recorded live at the Open Circuits festival in 2002. Such is the nature of live electronic recordings that there’s no evidence of an audience; most live electronic concerts are recorded direct from the soundboard — or, all the more hermetically, direct to the hard drive of the performer’s laptop. In any case, Lament for Lost Beats is a lovely lull, built — no, “built” has too hard a consonant to it; it’s sewn from bell tones and a gently rocking rhythm. Rocking in the sense of a chair, not a garage band. The Nishi site describes it as a “shimmering spiral of tones and ever-so-subtle clicks.” The shifting sounds confuse foreground and background, with deep-toned vibrations that are almost Caribbean and higher-pitched data that fuzzes and grates, but lightly — just enough to keep the listener grounded. At almost exactly 10 minutes in, an identifiable bell resounds, as if to mark the midpoint. The performance is by Murphy Luzod (born Tom Reimer), a Vancouver-based musician. More music by Luzod/Reimer is available on the Luzod iuma.com page (here). Since 2002, Nishi, a subsidiary of No Type Records, has released 31 free online MP3 EPs, of which Lament for Lost Beats is its 30th. Check out the Nishi site, notype.com/nishi.
5 Most Recent Comments
Nuun: "Hi Mark, I’m truly honored and surprised by your review of my track! Thanks for your carefull listening..."
Marc Arsenault: "Have you ever played a music box over a guitar pickup? Do it. "
reis: "Thanks Super enjoyed this atmospheric masterwork. Love your review …it gains mass detail as it moves..."
Markian Volkov: "That’s what I was wondering. Now how can I promote my music on soundcloud without groups?..."
Monsterovich: "https://soundcloud.com/losttal entgroup Join us if you want normal groups back. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0247 / Waltz, Maybe / Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien. • 0246 / Double, Quadruple, Sextuple / Compose a piece of music that increases speed in stages as it proceeds. • 0245 / Practical Music / Write a piece of music for getting things done, suitable for playing on repeat. • 0244 / Euro Mixin / The Assignment: Combine tracks from three different European netlabels (Portugal, Spain, Switzerland) into one sonic union. • 0243 / Synth Trial / The Assignment: Share the best track from your audition tape for Blade Runner 2.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice