The British trio Red Snapper helped define the Warp Records label in the mid-1990s with a series of singles and collections, sets marked by lessons learned from U.S. hip-hop and European club music and good old guitar-oriented soul. Some called it fusion, others acid jazz. And then the Snapper called it quits. And now, almost as suddenly, they’re back — well, sorta. Lo Recordings has released two Snapper sets in 2003: a self-titled album and a subsequent remix collection, titled Redone, that features versions of material from the self-titled record reworked by an eclectic rogues gallery of studio mavens, including Depth Charge, Blue States, Pedro and Rothko. (Any talk of a full-fledged Snapper reunion requires a Day-Glo asterisk. According to the label, if the question is whether the group has truly split up, the answer is the ambiguous statement: “Well they have as far as playing live and spending months in recording studios.”) To promote the new albums, Lo had Jay Burnett, an early Def Jam Records artist and Beastie Boys colleague, combine material from Redone into a single, 12-minute extended meta-remix, the “Super Snapper Mash Up.” To recap, the track is a mash up of remixes of various work by a single artist. Truth be told, it’s less of a “mash up” than it is a montage, less a jamming juxtaposition of dissimilar sounds than a steady flow of compatible ones. The extended track is available for free as a relatively compact MP3 (here), and also as a stream (pick Windows Media or Real Audio). These links were made available in conjunction with Lo Recordings (more info at lorecordings.com).
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice