“Mine Is In Yours” is not the best song ever recorded by Mouse on Mars. Long gone, apparently, are the days of the group’s production-music youth, when the team of Jan St. Werner and Andi Toma wrote elevator music for exotic shopping malls of the future on albums like Iaora Tahiti. No, the group has long since embraced proper songs, its lyrics processed through effects that serve primarily as an affectionate vestige of its halcyon, purely synthetic origin. The song is, however, a good opportunity to make note of music.download.com, the music wing of CNet’s download service, in which the “Electronic & Dance” category has myriad subsets (as of this typing, in alphabetical order: Acid, Ambient, Big Beats, Breakbeat/Breaks, Club/Dance, Dance, Dance-Pop, Deep House, Down Tempo, Drum N’Bass, Electro, Electronica, Euro-Dance, Experimental, Freestyle, Gabber, Game Soundtracks, Garage/House, Goa, Happy Hardcore, Hard House, Hard Trance, Hi-NRG, House, IDM, Industrial-Electronic, Intelligent Techno, Latin Dance, Minimal, Noise, Progressive/Dream, Techno, Teen Pop, Trance, Urban, Vocal House). The Mouse on Mars song file, the lead track off the recent Radical Connector album, is housed on the band’s home on the music.download.com site, here, filed generously under “Experimental.” More on the group at mouseonmars.com.
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice