Online electronic-music EPs are generally all-or-nothing affairs: sets recorded on the same equipment, at the same time, with the same raw materials, processed on the same software by the same person. Occasionally one of the tracks will rise above, but more often than not they all work together as parts of a whole. Jerzz‘s three-cut Fear EP is an exception. It’s the debut album for the fourth and latest sublabel of the Netherlands-based ear-recordings.nl netlabel. “What Happens,” Fear’s lead track, is where it’s happening. The first minute two-steps through the harsh no man’s land that stretches out between industrial music, with its affection for decay, and drum’n’bass, with its emphasis on automated rhythm. Then, at almost exactly the minute and a half point, it pauses; when it returns, is has gotten bleaker, darker and utterly de-calibrated, the rhythm falling apart and struggling, for the remaining six minutes, to find itself. “What Happens” is a must-download. “When the World” is a solid B-side, to employ an anachronism, but it doesn’t have the messy strangeness of “What Happens.” And “Goes Down” should be avoided; the mix is all off, especially where its coy and overly loud vocal snippets are concerned. “What Happens” is the keeper, for sure. Very promising. Get the MP3 directly, or visit the album’s ear-recordings.nl page. (A variety of file-compression densities and formats are available on the album’s archive.org mirror page.)
5 Most Recent Comments
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
needles: "Noll’s compositions and performances under all of his names are other-level. "
Carolyn Jackson: "It’s not your imagination. The outfit was Laurie Spiegel inspired! "
Neil: "Great, interesting piece. Marc, have you thought about making the concept of ‘Bracket Sound’ a..."
Tom: "This is heavenly "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet. • 0268 / Walking Music / Take a stroll and describe it in sound, paying tribute to the late manga great Jiro Taniguchi. • 0267 / The Metronomic Society / Create a theme song for a fictional organization. • 0266 / Vocal Cuts / Use segments of your own held vowel to make music. • 0265 / Kitchen Music / Record a piece of music that uses items from just one drawer.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice