PREFUSE73 MP3: For every dozen folktronic tracks that find a nice, lowkey, occasionally trippy melodious zone between laptop digital synthesis and old-tyme lackadaisical stringed instrumentation, there’s but one upbeat song like Prefuse 73‘s “Pagina Dos Featuring the Books,” which hones a digital equivalent to bluegrass’ caffeinated kick. This superb little cut, off P73’s Surrounded by Silence, due out on March 21, is built from the sparest of materials: a cycling pluck of guitar, a smattering of arid beats, and these candid spoken-word snippets that lend the cut the urban-stoop soul of something out of Tommy Guerrero’s catalog (or, for that matter, one of Terence Blanchard’s soundtrack’s for Spike Lee, albeit with an amateur hum in place of the trumpet). It’s a delectable cut, from an album that’ll feature Kazu (of Blonde Redhead), Aesop Rock, Gza and Masta Killa. (The just-out single, “Hideyaface,” features Ghostface and El-P.) So, why’s the MP3 available for free in the first place? Apparently the last newsletter from Bleep.com, the online music retailer run by the Warp Records label, suffered some technical trouble, and this track is being given away as an apology. The newsletter said the file’s for subscribers only, but now the spring 2005 edition of the newsletter is archived on the Bleep.com site, along with a link to the track. Get it while the offer lasts, at warprecords.com/bleep/newsletter.
5 Most Recent Comments
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice