Seek in the Internet Archive’s audio catalog (archive.org/audio), and you might just find. Several years ago, the String Cheese Incident, a noodle-rock jam band, turned some of its recordings over to a pop-minded technologist, DJ Harry, the result of which was a recommended album (The String Cheese Remix Project) of techno music fabricated from sun-dried straw and wildflowers. A search at archive.org yielded two live concert results of this union, one from July 15, 2000, and another from November 26, 2004. The latter, recorded at the Tweeter Center in Camden, N.J., features Harry joining SCI onstage for an encore. Titled “On the Road,” it starts off in space-rock zone but soon solidifies into the Deadheady music one expects from SCI, but then it breaks open wide for an extended bit of looping (focused largely on Martin Luther King, Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech) against SCI’s backwoodsy ensemble. Some caveats: the music is encoded as an “SHN” file, a so-called “lossless” (or hi-fidelity) format that is (1) really large (65.5 megabytes for about 10.5 minutes of music) and (2) kinda hard to play, because not a lot of MP3 players support it (there is a plugin for Winamp software). Oh, as for that July 15 track, it’s only downloadable as part of a zipped 3.2 gigabyte file. Save that for another rainy day. Search for “harry string incident” at archive.org.
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice