A place on Disquiet.com for brief notes and quick links has been coming for a while now. Pretty much any downtime in updates to this site can be traced to after-hours stints spent fiddling in HTML and dry-running various scripts, potential blog tools and content-management systems. In the meanwhile, too many live concert attendances go unreferenced, too many interesting webpages and posts go unlinked to, too much offline reading gets un-cited, and too many general, even if inevitably tangential, observations don’t receive a mention. The site’s Downstream section (disquiet.com/downstream) already recommends free, musician-condoned downloadable music, but there are plenty of streaming broadcasts that deserve to be noted, even in passing, and a quick-links section would satisfy that requirement. Oh, as of this writing, the site’s search routine has been upgraded. A place to mention such backend maintenance would be beneficial as well. Disquiet’s been running since late 1996, and it has long lacked a spot for such material. So, now it has one, “field notes.” OK, enough with the backstory. On with the short stuff. …
5 Most Recent Comments
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet. • 0268 / Walking Music / Take a stroll and describe it in sound, paying tribute to the late manga great Jiro Taniguchi.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice