Good Reads: John Oswald (of Plunderphonics fame), Douglas Kahn (author of Noise, Water, Meat) and poet Kenneth Goldsmith in an online discussion about “The Politics of Sound / The Culture of Exchange,” introduced and moderated by Lina Dzuverovic, courtesy of the Tate (link). Says Oswald at one point, “I only use the term ‘collaboration’ in situations where there is equal responsibility and authorship.” … Monolake (aka Robert Henke) talked about his Max/MSP project for an array of large lightbulbs in the interview he did with Disquiet.com (“The Organization Musician”), and now there’s more information about it (including pictures) in the “other projects” section of his website, monolake.de. … New Release: Due out this Tuesday, April 26, is Drums of Death (Thirsty Ear) by DJ Spooky and Dave Lombardo (the longtime drummer in death metal act Slayer), with guests Chuck D and Vernon Reid, and co-production work by Meat Beat Manifesto‘s Jack Dangers. Other guests include guitarist Gerry Nestler, who plays with Lombardo in Philm, and vocalist Dalek. Samples of three tracks are up at thirstyear.com and of five tracks at Meat Beat’s site (link). … More new-release news at brainwashed.com/releases. … Trent Spotting: In another example of remixing as a promotion by a major recording artist, Trent Reznor has turned “The Hand That Feeds,” the first single off his new Nine Inch Nails album, With Teeth, into a track that can be read and edited in Apple’s GarageBand software. Get all 70 megabytes of it free at the Nine Inch Nails website, nin.com (direct link). With Teeth hits stores on May 3. … Upcoming Stream: Rothko, the slocore act, has teamed with Roger Eno; they’ll discuss the project on the BBC Radio 3 show Mixing It this coming Friday, April 29 (link).
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice