Some call it a “podcast,” while others simply call it a very large MP3 file. In either case, brainwashed.com’s latest podcast (file and, by extension, date: podcast050511.mp3), weighing in at almost 100 megabytes, contains a sequence of tracks by musicians and record labels whose websites are hosted at brainwashed.com. They’ve dubbed this entry the “dubcast” edition, because it focuses on music influenced by dub, including songs by the Tear Garden, Twilight Circus, Dome, Tortoise, Strategy, Greater Than One, Bomb the Bass, Meat Beat Manifesto, Sandoz, Annie Anxiety and Out Hud. The one long file is set up radio-broadcast style, with spoken intros and outros for the songs, and it includes the occasional slice of dead air generally associated with college FM broadcasts, but it’s all good stuff. These aren’t new songs, necessarily; the Tortoise entry, for example, “Goriri,” dates back to the milestone Macro Dub Infection compilation, now a decade old. The superb Greater Than One’s thunder’n’rain-laced “Dub Killer,” likewise, dates from 1990. The whole thing clocks in at a little over an hour. More info at brainwashed.com/podcast. Because they often contain previously unreleased music, these brainwashed podcasts are worth keeping an ear on.
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time. • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice