Quote of the Week: “[T]he easy access to and ubiquity of music is oppressive. It often feels like a passive aggressive assault. I’d pay extra for silence.” That’s David Byrne, replying at length at davidbyrne.com to Alex Ross‘ recent New Yorker essay (“The Record Effect“) on the impact of recording technology on the direction of music. … Quick Links: (1) A roundup on slate.com of new CDs helmed by famed producers (link) notes of Brian Eno‘s Another Day on Earth that “iTunes automatically labels it as ‘New Age.'” … (2) Speaking of Eno, if you’re looking for a Palm OS version of his Oblique Strategies card deck, check out the free program at tribblescape.com/palm.php. (3) A thorough overview of the Strategies at rtqe.net/ObliqueStrategies. … (4) In one among a fleet of stories on Stevie Wonder, in advance of his new A Time to Love album, the Scottish Sunday Herald (link) notes Wonder’s early use of Arp and Moog synthesizers, “making him a pioneer in the field of electronic music.” … (5) Via numerous sites, video of Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson‘s “contraption made of computer-controlled musical instruments” (boingboing.net), “[i]n lieu of coaxing Enya to do permanent in-house entertainment duties” (engadget.com). … New Releases: New album releases this week: (1) Brian Eno‘s Another Day on Earth (Hannibal) and (2) Philip Glass‘ Orion (Orange Mountain). (3) There’s also Lusine‘s four-song Inside/Out 12″ (Ghostly). … More new-release info at brainwashed.com/releases. … Disquiet Heavy Rotation: (1) Monolake‘s Axis Carbon (ml/i), less ambient, more lounge than his recent work. … (2) The CD of View of Rainbow by Turntabrush, abstract hip-hop from Japan (there are apparently three versions, on CD, cassette tape and LP, each different from the others, all released on the Clockwise label; I picked up my copies of the cassette and the CD at Other Music in Manhattan). … (3) Miragliuolo‘s free MP3 download “Skipfunk (Short Version)” (MP3), courtesy of kracfive.com, and the subject of the June 8 Disquiet Downstream (link).
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice