The Brooklyn, N.Y.-based record label Colour Sounds specializes, as it bills itself, in “avant, out, psych, improv and other interesting recorded musics.” The “Listen” page on its website, vorg.net/csr, features numerous excerpts, live tracks and otherwise unreleased MP3s, and a good point of origin into the label’s sound jungle is with the Beets. That’s the duo of John Dalessi and Adam Kriney, whose combined tools include “synthesizer, electronics, 4-track w/ cassettes” and “voice electronics” (a comma may or may not be intended to appear between “voice” and “electronics”). A live Beets recording, titled “Don’t Be Afraid of the Ghost That Haunts You,” is a thrift-store hodgepodge of drone-like elements that eventually find a kind of unison, which then takes its time coming apart; if there’s a tension in the music, it’s how it approaches but never really embraces the kind of epiphany that’s so common in drone-rock (MP3). A couple more examples of the Beets are housed on its “Artists” page on the Colour Sounds website, and particularly recommended is an edit of “Bird of Prey … Further Envelops You” off their Say Yes CD-R. It adds earthly elements like chimes and cymbals to an otherworldly, undulating sound, but manages to never touch the ground (MP3). That chimes and cymbals, which are usually elements of color in a drummer’s kit, are the most worldly sounds here says something about how far out the Beets like to wander.
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0278 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures. • 0277 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound."
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice