The second track on the new Tigrics EP, Mint Egy Befejezono (Highpoint Lowlife), moves with some speed from a treated field recording of a train, with its locomotive rhythm, to something syrupy, in which mechanized drums keep slipping up, like a maudlin robot caretaker stuck in some glutinous murk (MP3). The whole set, six tracks in all, is a marvel of rhythmic ingenuity, from the hyper opening track (“He, Jelfej!”), which initially appears almost dismissible, just a blur of blippy colors, until its utter coherence, worthy of Underworld on a particularly good day, makes itself evident (MP3). “Aztan Varosokban Ebredtem” (MP3) may appear pure gauze in comparison with the EP’s more foot-forward entries, but it’s a metrical achievement nonetheless, especially how a woman’s voice, the rare vocal element in this otherwise all-digital affair, is edited to continuously move one syllable forward and two back. Vocals appear again, briefly, on “Kossuth Lajos Tca mix,” minced to blipvert-length beatboxing (MP3). Tigrics is the pseudonym for Robert Bereznyei, based out of Budapest, Hungary. Mint Egy Befejezono, the 14th download release from Highpoint, will be followed by a full-length album later this year. Get Mint Egy Befejezono as a download, for free, at highpointlowlife.com.
5 Most Recent Comments
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
Chris: "Love this post, Marc. A great slice of this year’s news … "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends. • 0259 / Signals Lost / Summon up a horror story in sound.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice