The second track on the new Tigrics EP, Mint Egy Befejezono (Highpoint Lowlife), moves with some speed from a treated field recording of a train, with its locomotive rhythm, to something syrupy, in which mechanized drums keep slipping up, like a maudlin robot caretaker stuck in some glutinous murk (MP3). The whole set, six tracks in all, is a marvel of rhythmic ingenuity, from the hyper opening track (“He, Jelfej!”), which initially appears almost dismissible, just a blur of blippy colors, until its utter coherence, worthy of Underworld on a particularly good day, makes itself evident (MP3). “Aztan Varosokban Ebredtem” (MP3) may appear pure gauze in comparison with the EP’s more foot-forward entries, but it’s a metrical achievement nonetheless, especially how a woman’s voice, the rare vocal element in this otherwise all-digital affair, is edited to continuously move one syllable forward and two back. Vocals appear again, briefly, on “Kossuth Lajos Tca mix,” minced to blipvert-length beatboxing (MP3). Tigrics is the pseudonym for Robert Bereznyei, based out of Budapest, Hungary. Mint Egy Befejezono, the 14th download release from Highpoint, will be followed by a full-length album later this year. Get Mint Egy Befejezono as a download, for free, at highpointlowlife.com.
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice