Electronic musician Greg Davis has gotten a mention in the Disquiet Downstream about once a month of late, and if his current online music distribution venture keeps up its initial pace, his appearances may become even more frequent. In August the Downstream featured free downloads courtesy of Amazon.com, off his 2004 album Curling Pond Woods (link). In July it was an extended mix of Grateful Dead songs (link). And in June it was a full solo live set he’d posted as part of the Kranky Records label’s ongoing download feature at kranky.net (link). That concert performance, recorded live at the Zeitgeist Gallery in Cambridge, Massachusetts, is now one of many that Davis is posting at the Internet Archive, or archive.org. The Internet Archive doesn’t provide mnemonic-friendly URLs for specific musicians, so you’ll need to follow the following link to get to Davis’ uploads (link). As of this typing, there are 16 from shows that happened in November of 2004, and one highlight among them (MP3) was recorded a the Drake in Toronto on the 15th. A brief review by a fairly prolific Internet Archive commentator reads, in part: “This is a long drone set. If you want some audial hypno-therapy then this is great. I am glad there are people who make this, but I prefer a bit more intelluctual stimulation.” To my ears, while the music indeed starts as a drone, it becomes far more than that; it develops its own rhythm as time passes, taking on the cast of a immersive, meditative Terry Riley piece. The MP3 link above is a lofi 64Kbps (a mere 13mb for nearly half an hour of music), but the set is available in four different compression standards, including a “lossless” 192mb version (link). There’s immersive, and then there’s submersive.
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0278 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures. • 0277 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound."
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice