The “hot tickle” free downloads posted by guitarist Robert Fripp over at dgmlive.com don’t hang around forever. A subscription to the series’ RSS feed (RSS) is the best way to keep up to date. Among the most recent is a duet featuring Fripp, on, as ever, his heavenly, looping guitar, and Theo Travis on woodwind (flute?). The two start off matching pitches with eerie verisimilitude, but soon enough launch into something much more compelling and complex and dissonant than mere tandem tone-riding (MP3). The following note accompanies the posted MP3: “Don’t forget this isn’t necessarily the finished article but very much a work and mix in progress.” How’s this for freshness? It was recording on January 5, 2007, in Salisbury. Travis (theotravis.com) plays in a quartet that includes bassist Andy Hamill (4 Hero, LTJ Bukem) and he collaborated with DJ Krush back in 1997.
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0258 / Sonic Climate / Express your local weather in sound. • 0257 / Remember Noisevember / Make some noise. • 0256 / Music in Place / Record a short piece of music using the sounds around you. • 0255 / Capone’s Ghost / What does the banjo music of the fabled criminal sound like? • 0254 / Fog and Steam / Make music from two provided samples.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice