- Crud. Did I totally miss Jim Jarmusch’s Limits of Control? It doesn’t appear to be playing anywhere in or near San Francisco any longer. #
- Saturday morning sounds: whirring laptop fan means laptop is dying means much file-transfer effort ahead this weekend. #
- New Cliff Martinez film score! ‘In the Beginning’ (‘A l’origine’). Review isn’t high on the music: http://is.gd/CynF But I’m eager to see. #
- If you Twitter, it’s #followfriday: new-music ensemble @eighthblackbird; Throbbing Gristle’s @chris_carter_; netlabel @stasisfield. #
- Got a new “MP3 Discussion Group” together for next week. Should be good. #
- Some of my favorite proto-“math rock”: the opening of “Superstition.” The bar’s playing what sounds like, maybe, Stanley Jordan doing it. #
- Freaking HP laptop is dying. That moaning fan meant something. Any recommendations for actually quiet Windows PC, laptop or desktop? #
- RIP, David Ireland. http://is.gd/C50P #
- Last day of Disquiet group-yap on Burial/Four Tet 2-song release, “Moth”/”Wolf Cub”: http://is.gd/Bts5. Today: lo-tech & willful scarcity. #
- Bought ticket to Mason Bates San Francisco Symphony tomorrow. Paid 25% service fee, to hold the ticket at will call. Great start to evening. #
- Feeling Web 2.0. Delicious.com feeds my Disquiet.com tangents/bookmarks. Digging Twitter. Hosting Burial/4Tet discussion @ http://is.gd/Bts5 #
- The temperature dropped 35 degree since this afternoon, and now the foghorns are out in force. #
- Catching up transcribing musician interviews. Express Scribe is great stop/start software. CallGraph records Skype calls. Both are free. #
- Great old video of Pete Rock at work: “It’s like a jigsaw puzzle when you’re making a song: http://bit.ly/s5F2X #
- 18 is the number of J Dilla production credits since he passed away, in February 2006: http://www.stonesthrow.com/jdilla/discography #
- Enjoyed disconnect y’day afternoon, watching @rhawtin display tracks he was DJing across the globe, while I celebrated a kid’s 5th birthday. #
- Gym music: recent Jon Hassell, then old Metallica, Buckcherry, Alec Empire, Rage Against the (Nautilus) Machine #
- Best sound yesterday: six kids at a five-year-old’s birthday party, all squawking on little paper horns, like a junior John Zorn brigade. #
- Sunday morning sounds: fridge humming along, typing from across the house, laptop set to stun. No birds, no cars: Bay to Breakers to blame? #
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0258 / Sonic Climate / Express your local weather in sound. • 0257 / Remember Noisevember / Make some noise. • 0256 / Music in Place / Record a short piece of music using the sounds around you. • 0255 / Capone’s Ghost / What does the banjo music of the fabled criminal sound like? • 0254 / Fog and Steam / Make music from two provided samples.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice