- As always, packing for a trip is as digital as it is physical — photos, notes, tunes, ebooks. I must get my data cloud in gear… #
- 48 hours til London, not counting flight, of course. … Last time I was there, it was to interview Depeche Mode. Saw Billy Childish, too. #
- Thanks for London-sound tips for trip next week. Mostly business, but some evening & day pleasure breaks. @mapsadaisical @eleventhvolume #
- London next week. I get there Monday (June 1) and head back to San Francisco on Saturday (June 6). Anything sound-ish going on, lemme know. #
- Hosting great Jon Hassell discussion with @eleventhvolume, @richard_kadrey & others: http://bit.ly/QWaiO … What artist & album to do next? #
- Good way to start day: Android phone auto-upgraded to new (“Cupcake”) operating system build. Weird it doesn’t come with “what’s new” note. #
- There are now not four but five Burmese restaurants in my neighborhood. I love San Francisco. #
- Good music week in San Francisco: Galindo tonight, Compound show Tuesday, Lx Rudis on Thursday, Illuminated Corridor on Saturday… #
- Man, under the wire. Finished transferring files from main computer yesterday. As of a routine program upgrade this morning, it won’t boot. #
- Jon Hassell: “I think the key word there is atmosphere…. If you’re not conjuring up a place, it is not doing the trick.” http://is.gd/D2jJ #
- Jon Hassell: “If you think of music as horizontal, being melody, and vertical, being harmony, I think of what I do as diagonal.” #
- Many exhibit and performance notes to post. May go into staccato mode at Disquiet.com for awhile. #
- Sunday morning sounds: distinctly Peruvian accent to belly rumbles, plus ticking of laptop fan that is Morse code for “transfer your files.” #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet. • 0268 / Walking Music / Take a stroll and describe it in sound, paying tribute to the late manga great Jiro Taniguchi.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice