- Really dug Moon movie. Sam Rockwell is great in captivity. And Clint Mansell's score, while among his least atmospheric, functions well. #
- Morning sounds: floors creaking, dishes rattling, laptop humming, bus passing. #
- RIP, Ali Akbar Khan (b. 1922), sarod genius & jazz-raga fomenter. #
- Have tickets to new film The Moon tonight — looking forward to lo-key science fiction mode, but all the more so to new Clint Mansell score. #
- Morning sounds: fridge, distant electric toothbrush (like a didjeridu), baby-squeal next door, occasional bus (house rattle & machine hum). #
- #followfriday on Twitter: sound-ists @soundwalkdotcom & archivists @footage plus sampling musicians @thegrassyknoll & @whyarcka #
- Evening sounds: distant typing and paper-shuffling, plane overhead, neighbor's laundry, laptop fan (healthy), car passing. #
- It's clea that the "r" key on this keyboad is no longe woking. I've had this thing since 1996. Hope new compute aives soon. #
- Just finished the sixth Parker novel, The Jugger, just in time for the latest episode of Burn Notice. It's a hard-boiled life, vicariously. #
- Tonight, neighbor's SOMA photo exhibit. Maybe Dinosaur Jr exhibit? Is there a better "all art openings" listing in SF than 96 Hours? #
- Starting next Monday I'll be in a gang discussing Dave Hickey's art-theory book The Invisible Dragon at Molly Sheridan's artsjournal.com/gap #
- RIP, Bob Bogle (b. 1934) of the Ventures, kings of instrumental rock & theme-song goodness: http://is.gd/14IJ3 #
- Sign behind the bar last night: "No Web Site." #
- Drinking a Michelada in a glass goblet from Liuzza's. Listening to various DJ Mark the 45 King instrumentals, some though my Korg Kaoss Pad. #
- Can't wait for gardenofmemory.com Sunday in Oakland: Joe Colley (who reminded me), Beth Custer, Dimuzio/Wobbly, Kent Sparling, Vorticella… #
- Gym music: the new Kronos: Floodplain. "Oh Mother, the Handsome Man Tortures Me" (rocks as hard as anything on the recent Metallica). #
- Listening to vinyl of Clash's London Calling. Reminded of added aural element, when a tiny, tinny version of the LP emanates from needle. #
- Sunday morning sounds: laptop fan, ear buzz, footsteps, a few birds (some motion, some singing), not a single car or bus for last half hour. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Nuun: "Hi Mark, I’m truly honored and surprised by your review of my track! Thanks for your carefull listening..."
Marc Arsenault: "Have you ever played a music box over a guitar pickup? Do it. "
reis: "Thanks Super enjoyed this atmospheric masterwork. Love your review …it gains mass detail as it moves..."
Markian Volkov: "That’s what I was wondering. Now how can I promote my music on soundcloud without groups?..."
Monsterovich: "https://soundcloud.com/losttal entgroup Join us if you want normal groups back. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0248 / Galactic Tick / Celebrate the new celestial holiday in music. • 0247 / Waltz, Maybe / Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien. • 0246 / Double, Quadruple, Sextuple / Compose a piece of music that increases speed in stages as it proceeds. • 0245 / Practical Music / Write a piece of music for getting things done, suitable for playing on repeat. • 0244 / Euro Mixin / The Assignment: Combine tracks from three different European netlabels (Portugal, Spain, Switzerland) into one sonic union.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice