- Afternoon: sound-art installation at Berkeley Art Museum. Tonight, Mose Allison and Bob (Schoolhouse Rock) Dorough. #
- Morning sounds: shower, fridge, coughing (visiting Mom, in guest room). And (I'm happy to note) my old laptop's louder than my new desktop. #
- Saw Edward Albee's At Home at the Zoo at ACT SF. Really solid, especially how two one-act plays written so far apart fit together so well. #
- New desktop computer set up. New high-pitched electronic whine has entered my personal soundscape. #
- My dad (age 74) is wired for sound. His dual Bluetooth-enabled hearing aids pick up his cellphone and his MP3 player. My dad is a cyborg. #
- Looking forward to new Michael Mann film, Public Enemies, especially to hear how he maps his minimal-techno fixations onto the Depression. #
- Dang. The guy from awesometapesfromafrica.blogspot.com is in San Francisco tomorrow night, and … so are my parents. #
- It's been a day of dub, experiencing what entering "King Tubby" into Pandora and LastFM yield. #
- Previous post from final chapter of seventh Parker novel, which I just read. Scene takes place with no dialog, save anti-hero's thoughts. #
- "The silence after the crash and clatter seemed to hum with emptiness. Parker moved more slowly, listening, listening through the silence." #
- Having a glass of Laphroaig. As with most great whisky, its name could easily be mistaken for the title to an Autechre track. #
- Easily spent 45 minutes today working to a single synth vamp, a minimal line from a 15-track Tony Allen afrobeat song: http://is.gd/1jBI4 #
- Reportedly this mix — http://bit.ly/JbxSF — is by Beck. It's something: out jazz, Allen Ginsberg, beatcraft, 8bit madness RT @1000DIGIKI #
- Digging free @thegrassyknoll iPod app. Wondering/worrying if Apple's app success supports DRM. Would easily copied apps sell less or more? #
- Morning sounds: shower ahead, footsteps to right, fridge to left, speakers (playing Tony Allen) behind. All save the speakers through walls. #
- Listening at length to iPod Touch apps: Bloom, Buddha Machine (odd not to hear tinny speaker quality), TonePad (could use more variety). #
- Planting coyote mint, listening to airplanes and hummingbirds. #
- Not sure what sport is consuming patrons at 3 bars in listening vicinity of Rosamunde on Lower Haight, but the event-doppler is excellent. #
- Morning sounds: laptop fan, plane overhead, ice cracking in coffee, bus passing, phone's sonar ping quietly noting arrival of an email. #
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice