- Gym music: all that equipment noise, cycled through @rjdj — and then the new Vladislav Delay. #
- Probably last human on Earth to see 2nd Transformers movie. Sound design is insane: dense as Moulin Rouge!, but all industrial noise. #
- Bruce Sterling — @bruces — has anointed an object with a story for @significobs http://is.gd/1WAyY #
- Enjoying new Vladislav Delay album Tummaa. Pretty much first non-generative music I've listened to this week. Been deep in @rjdj on my iPod. #
- If you Twitter it's #followfriday: sound artist @christofmigone & interactive app @rjdj — latter getting cool upgrade: http://bit.ly/2544IE #
- Luggage Store Gallery tonight: Laptops, drums, more. #
- Evening sounds: computer buzzing, distant typing, fridge hum, laundry next door (way muffled), minimal car and bus activity… #
- Embarking on daily bus ride. Wanna hear new Vladislav Delay but will end up enjoying transformed environmental sounds through @rjdj again. #
- Finally getting stuff uploaded to flickr, mostly tagged "soundart": http://flickr.com/photos/disquietpxl #
- Do musicians need Twitter (& the like) to survive? We're discussing @missrouge's Whuffie book & @doctorow's original: http://is.gd/1RNYF #
- RIP, George Russell (b. 1923), third-steam jazz magnet and magnate: http://is.gd/1RkDK #
- Back from @classicalrev show. Cool organization, dropping classical acts into unlikely venues. Heard some Telemann, had a beer. #
- Tonight out in San Francisco's Richmond District, @classicalrev is playing a classical show at Bazaar Cafe. Wonder what's on the program. #
- Great San Francisco gallery New Langton is in financial trouble. Details, and an opportunity to pitch in, at http://www.newlangtonarts.org. #
- Group discussion of book Whuffie Factor (about social capital) by @missrouge at http://artsjournal.com/gap. We're applying it to the arts. #
- RIP, Merce Cunningham (b. 1919): http://is.gd/1OV89 RT @saraivry #
- Morning sounds: foghorns and ice cubes, hard drive and garbage truck. #
- Did a fresh OS reinstall on my five-year-old laptop, and now it's all speedy. Imagine that. #
- Thanks to @michaelgregoire & @eleventhvolume & Prehab, I know to look at bottom of the iTunes screen for album's length when it's selected. #
- Stupid question of the day: How does one view in iTunes the overall length of a given album? #
- When I wake to see two hourly @oblique_chirps in a row, I realize I don't follow enough Twitter accounts on the other side of the world. #
- While I reset my wireless router another round of The @rhawtin Drinking Game began. He's already played AGA (& REM?). My money on Alva Noto. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice