- My two favorites @mocalosangeles: Christian Marclay's 16-channel video http://is.gd/2V232 & Ai Weiwei's 10-plus video http://is.gd/2V27p #
- Checking out the "social network" Firefox plug-in @yoono. So far, so good. Definitely saves on simultaneous screens/tabs. Kinda elegant. #
- Saturday morning sounds: this early, it's just the fridge through one wall, and the hard drive below me. Maybe geese, a bus, or a car soon. #
- Video of augmented audio on a train — great example of why the iPhone app @rjdj is so great: http://flic.kr/p/6Rs8jc RT @rjdj @revdancatt #
- Best description of "feedback" I've read recently was in an article not about sound but about economics: http://is.gd/2Q62u (nytimes.com) #
- Listening to a Basic Channel compilation, which I could easily have been convinced, while cross Market Street, was in fact @rjdj in action. #
- Nice morning audio synchronism: geese commuting overhead, just as the electric toothbrush sounds its didgeridoo wail. #
- Realizing that the Tuesday air-raid siren here in San Francisco must emanate from a spot much closer to where I work than to where I live. #
- Yow — Joan La Barbara is among the musicians at this year's San Francisco Electronic Music Festival, September 16 – 19: http://is.gd/2LkNu #
- Field recordists & phonographers, @alexismadrigal has started a locative-sound project @HearThisWorld and http://HearThisWorld.tumblr.com/. #
- Afternoon sounds: typing, voices below, footsteps, printer buzz, distant & limited traffic, air plane, a dozen hard drives in choral unison. #
- Just listened to my own house. Put AC/DC on stereo; went to showing at house next door. Couldn't hear a thing. Realtor said, "Rock out." #
- Sunday morning sounds: foghorns, hard drives, and the continued silence of the uninhabited single-family home next door. #
- Said the good reverend at tonight's wedding, "The language of love is silence." #
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound." • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice