- Listening to Breakbeat Era's Ultra-Obscene on vinyl while tidying cable spaghetti in my office. How is this album already a decade old? #
- This so-called "dry lightning" over San Francisco is insane. The house just rattled like a big bass drum in some sludge-metal song. #
- Story hed from today's @nytimes uninformed, obnoxious, or both: "At Last, Artists Harness the Internet" At last? http://is.gd/3bQVd #
- Crazy bright light flashes over San Francisco at 4am while foghorns drone. Straight outta Close Encounters. Lightning storm? #
- Someday soon, I'm gonna go to a chamber music concert, and listen to the whole thing through @rjdj #
- Friday morning sounds: foghorns out in force. #
- Excellent in empty office to not be at all confused to hear cute melody emanate from someone's cellphone buried deep in an unseen handbag. #
- Man, Ennio Morricone to conduct his own work at the Hollywood Bowl? This may require a trip to Los Angeles: http://is.gd/37yx3 #
- Glad iTunes 9 includes liner notes. Wondering if the ones I did for the Nina Simone: Nina Sings Nina album I compiled will be part of this. #
- Morning listen: an interview with Italian prog-rock group Goblin about scoring Dario Argento's art-horror flicks: http://is.gd/34Zcp #
- Uploaded my first @audioboo field recording (of a ceiling fan), inspired by the @hearthisworld project of @alexismadrigal http://is.gd/33oCW #
- One of the great things in Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds is hearing music out of context, especially Ennio Morricone score cues. #
- While shopping for oven, thought of a guy in junior high who named his RPG character Electrolux. I'd laughed. Others hated the anachronism. #
- Seems meaningful/fitting that the opening of Miles Davis's "Freddie Freeloader" covered on Kind of Bloop compilation sounds like Steely Dan. #
- Installing all of Ableton Live 8's libraries seems to take longer than installing Windows 7. #
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound." • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice