- Headed out shortly to afternoon performance by Jim Haynes, William Fowler Collins, & others at On Land Festival at SF’s Cafe du Nord. #
- Morning sounds: bus, hard drive, some little animal on the roof. And, shortly, my copy of Method of Defiance’s album Nihon (RareNoise). #
- All week pondered tonight’s tough concert choice: Joan La Barbara or Bill Laswell? Laswell wins, based on Toshinori Kondo’s participation. #
- Excellent @boccalone sandwich from its bike-powered cart at @vegaatlangton today. Love the San Francisco utilitarian mobile food activity. #
- Thanks to @mmaddencomics & @wcraghead for Yo Gabba Gabba! tip. Someone had previously, & I feel bad I don’t recall who: http://bit.ly/7phA0 #
- RIP, Leon Kirchner (b. 1919), whose 1967 Pulitzer Prize was for a piece for string quartet and tape. http://is.gd/3pIUn http://is.gd/3pIWN #
- Best part of SFEMF concert last night was watching Don Buchla enjoy Lukas Ligeti rocking Buchla’s Marimba Lumina: http://is.gd/3ooeZ #
- Officially addicted to Pandora’s Tribe Called Quest channel. And to making playlists of instrumental versions of hip-hop tracks in fizy.com. #
- RIP, Mary Travers (b. 1936). I learned a lot at a young age from Peter, Paul, and you about tight harmony and pop psychedelia. #
- Headed to opening night of San Francisco Electronic Music Festival. Always comes around near anniversary of my return to this great city. #
- Disquiet.com due for upgrade. Reader input requested: http://is.gd/3lDm1 Subjects = ambient music, sound-as-art, reactive sound. #
- If you use @audioboo on your iPhone/Touch, consider joining a small geo-coded sound army: http://is.gd/3ldSB #
- Morning sounds: hard drive, buses flying by at unusually fast pace, general (which is to say minimal) traffic. No birds, no planes. #
- Wishing I could watch Echolalia, the invented Werner Herzog movie introduced in first chapter of Chronic City, Jonathan Lethem's new novel. #
- That old dog whining outside turns out not to have been a dog — it was a steel door being lowered. #
- RIP, punk poet Jim Carroll (b. 1950), who has joined all the "People Who Died" RT @richard_kadrey #
- Why are the On Land Festival & the SF Electronic Music Festival the same weekend? (Plus, Bill Laswell's in town with Toshinori Kondo.) #
- Listening to piano-tronic soundbed by @hecanjog — I got it for helping fund @kickstarter tour of him & @alwaystokyo http://is.gd/3e4Cc #
- RIP, saxophonist Luther Thomas (b. 1950). His Defunkt & James Chance work helped condition ears to fractured rhythms http://is.gd/3dTka #
- Cooking first meal in brand new oven — as the chicken bakes, acquainting myself with new button beeps and timer alarms. #
- Finally got USB audio hooked up to Vista 64 machine (Windows 7 on near horizon, of course). The UA-25EX pipes clean, static-free sound. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Marc Arsenault: "Have you ever played a music box over a guitar pickup? Do it. "
reis: "Thanks Super enjoyed this atmospheric masterwork. Love your review …it gains mass detail as it moves..."
Markian Volkov: "That’s what I was wondering. Now how can I promote my music on soundcloud without groups?..."
Monsterovich: "https://soundcloud.com/losttal entgroup Join us if you want normal groups back. "
spacebox720: "Hi, I’m spacebox720 and i stumbled over your article. I really enjoyed and would like to say..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0247 / Waltz, Maybe / Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien. • 0246 / Double, Quadruple, Sextuple / Compose a piece of music that increases speed in stages as it proceeds. • 0245 / Practical Music / Write a piece of music for getting things done, suitable for playing on repeat. • 0244 / Euro Mixin / The Assignment: Combine tracks from three different European netlabels (Portugal, Spain, Switzerland) into one sonic union. • 0243 / Synth Trial / The Assignment: Share the best track from your audition tape for Blade Runner 2.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice