- Tonight at Mills: music by Nick Didkovsky, Krys Bobrowsky, and (back from Antarctica) Cheryl E. Leonard. Looking forward. http://is.gd/4cezQ #
- Freeware I love: Firefox, Mozilla, Pidgin, Input Director, Quintessential, Songbird, Dropbox, Volumouse, Dark Room, AVG, GIMP, Evernote #
- Make that RIP, Robert Kirby (b. 1948). (What I get for Twittering while waking.) Excellent Guardian obit by Colin Irwin: http://is.gd/47BzN #
- RIP, Roger Kirby (b. 1948), Nick Drake's arranger (and that of many others, including Nick Lowe and Elvis Costello). #
- Hadn't noticed this: Gristleism box won't have audio out or DC socket; "hacks" page will post how-to's: http://is.gd/46Tkb #
- Afternoon sounds — and for much of the weekend: the ear-shattering, nerves-ratting, "Get Your War On" fly-by whoooooosh of the Blue Angels. #
- Hey, the Eno/Chilvers music app Bloom has upgraded to v. 2.0 — new operation modes, new moods, new sounds. And … "humanised tuning"? #
- RIP, Suzanne Fiol (at 49), founder of the New York City arts space Issue Project Room: http://is.gd/44ZE3 #
- New "MP3 Discussion Group" on Vertical Ascent, the new Moritz von Oswald Trio album of techno-less techno: http://is.gd/41k3k #
- My Android phone updated to OS 1.6. Still no support for USB (preferred) or Bluetooth external keyboard. … Whom do I need to bribe? #
- Afternoon sounds, in court for jury duty: no audible wheels of justice, but an imposing HVAC system whose undercurrent whispers, The System. #
- Setting up home wifi shouldn't take three hours and three overseas calls. Do AT&T & Belkin willfully make things difficult for each other? #
- Amazing how many basic tasks Songbird does better than iTunes, especially for file import, speed, & album art. Still, no record-label field? #
- Call for assistance: Anyone out there have old issues of epulse, the email zine I founded in 1994 and edited on and off through 2004? #
- Safely at home, listening to the world outside blow around like something out of The Wizard of Oz. Cozy. #
- Fave producer-songwriter: Pharrell? Kanye? Missy? Nah, it's Nick Lowe, live four blocks from my house at this very moment. #
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice