- Created my first Twitter list: http://twitter.com/disquiet/ambient #
- Weird sensation: blog you once subscribed to via RSS disappeared long ago; URL revived by someone else; and the old RSS feed comes alive. #
- Girl Talk more entertaining if my brain stopped attempting to identify every sample. Also if it was more dense. (The music, not my brain.) #
- Afternoon listening: DJ Zedvantz's seasonal "Death Mix" — Johnny Cash + breakbeats, plus Kid Koala, Jel, & more: http://is.gd/4Gg0i #
- Sounds of the night: The slow screech as bus entirely took the driver-side mirror off of my (parked) car. Streets of San Francisco, indeed. #
- RIP, landscape architect Lawrence Halprin (b. 1916), husband of John Cage collaborator and choreographer Anna Halprin. #
- Happiness is the DJ Krush / Toshinori Kondo album played through a Kaoss Pad's random filter, the BPM matched to half a given track's pulse. #
- Flickr "soundart" tag been great lately: bird + LPs http://is.gd/4BASx / ice records http://is.gd/4BAXL / Aernoudt Jacobs http://is.gd/4BB4E #
- Spent much of the day with the new Tony Allen / Jimi Tenor album of contemporary Afrobeat on repeat. #
- RIP, Maryanne Amacher (b. 1943): installation artist, Tzadik Records act, Ars Electronica winner: http://is.gd/4AW7M http://is.gd/4AWd9 #
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound." • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice