- Just had that "wish there was something I could listen to while I'm listening to this" feeling. Must be a word for that. #
- Finally saw Visual Acoustics, great doc film on architecture-photographer Julius Shulman. Good lite-glitchy score by Charlie Campagna. #
- Morning sounds: five hard drives whirring, three ice cubes crackling, one bus passing. #
- Was wondering about recent Japanese/日本語 Tenori-On chatter. It's "TNR-O," a cheaper edition: http://is.gd/4OtNL http://is.gd/4OtP1 #
- One step closer to the Throbbing Gristle–FM3 Gristleism machine. Video of the gadget: http://is.gd/4Ooas #
- ♫ Free afternoon audio-stream: The No Type collective organizes catalog by theme ("beats," "loud," "soothing," etc.): http://is.gd/4O15I #
- Wishing iPod Touch audio-game apps worked their algorithmic magic on songs contained inside the firewalled fortress that is iTunes. #
- ♫ Free afternoon audio-stream: dubby gitch (glitchy dub?) and epic whorls from Kallabris/Legowelt on Entr'acte: http://is.gd/4McrN #
- The 193 other things that "IDM" can stand for, in addition to "Intelligent Dance Music": http://is.gd/4NdEb #
- Morning sounds: typing, bird song, bus rattle, hard-drive hum, old-timey Chinese music on radio passing by front of house. #
- RT @rddy Shimokitazawa redevelopment debate, clarified: http://bit.ly/4bxS5M (i.e., what's happening to one of Tokyo's most happening hoods) #
- Yow. Evernote 18.104.22.1687 for Windows (aka 3.5 Beta 3) major improvement over predecessor. If you de-installed 3.5, good time to jump back in. #
- Any word on when YamiPod will work with the iPod Touch? #
- Week's best TV sound design: office full of ringing phones (Mad Men, 11/1); futurist-Muzak version of theme song (Good Eats, 11/2). #
- MP3 Discussion Group this week is of two recent and lush drone albums, both by Mountains: Choral and Etching. Join in at http://is.gd/4LGIr #
- New Don DeLillo book, Point Omega, due in 2010. Like Jonathan Lethem's Chronic City, sounds like literary Fringe: http://is.gd/4L5SG #
- Halloween night, and what sound wasn't heard? The doorbell ringing. #
- Gym music: bunch of netlabel releases, new Forced Exposure stuff, & an old Enduser / Larvae 12" (2006) — @adnoiseam addiction continues. #
- Listening to John Kannenberg field recording on repeat. Wondering if the loud birdsong confuses the winged creatures in the backyard. #
- Gym music: new Broken Note album on Ad Noiseum, increasingly a favorite label of mine. Humorous number of candy wrappers on the gym floor. #
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends. • 0259 / Signals Lost / Summon up a horror story in sound.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice