- Morning sounds: general pie-making in the kitchen, footsteps next door, hard drives below desk, birds just outside window. #
- Unsilent Night dates have been announced. The San Francisco event is December 19. Details at http://unsilentnight.com/ #
- Typical San Francisco midweek concert conundrum: 2-hour group drone, visiting New York sound artists, or comp-music show at local college? #
- My Gristleism box is on its way — just got the UPS tracking notification. Can't wait to team it up with my Buddha Machines. #
- MP3 Discussion Group: Is Leyland Kirby's recent triple album too long, too dramatic, or the best break-up record ever? http://is.gd/4XB7f #
- Introducing the album upgrade. A recent favorite, Dr. No's Ethiopium, was initially 18 tracks; now it's suddenly 36: http://is.gd/4WKK2 #
- Best thing about Notepad++? It automatically highlights multiple instances, pointing out that you've said "subtle" six times in 300 words. #
- Nothing like an apple from your own yard. (That's meant literally, not metaphorically.) #
- The gym doesn't require noise-canceling headphones. The gym requires music that melds with the crisscross rhythms of the machinery. #
- The many churches in my neighborhood apparently don't just differ theologically. They also don't agree as to when, exactly, the hour occurs. #
- Once upon a time, it was Warp, Ninja Tune, Mo' Wax: the Blue Note, Prestige, Impulse of electronica. Mo is no longer. Ninja less essential. #
- Barber after my cut: "Man, you're just gonna put that bike helmet back on." #
- Gym music: Broken Note's recent Terminal Static album. #
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time. • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice