- 500 locked grooves, each 2 seconds long. Impact lost a bit in transition from vinyl to batch-MP3, but so be it: http://is.gd/7mvhX. #
- New thinking: Apple gets fee for all paid software installed on its mobile OS, but only Microsoft doing this will get people to give a hoot. #
- Old thinking: Microsoft makes touch-screen computers, but only when Apple makes one will enough people really give a hoot. #
- Saturday morning sounds: deep bass of plane passing overhead, tinny ringing in ears, soft whir of hard drive. #
- Music apps for iPhone that should be even better on iPad: JR Hexatone, Touch DJ, & all the Monome/Tenori-style grid sequencers. #
- Forthcoming Don DeLillo novel, Point Omega, apparently opens and closes with a character staring at a Douglas Gordon video, 24 Hour Psycho. #
- RIP, Soho Crime publisher Laura Chapman Hruska (b. 1935), in thanks for among many novels Seicho Matsumoto's Inspector Imanishi Investigates #
- Writing often on music using pre-existing music as material, you say "rendition" a lot, & sense how its meaning has shifted in recent years. #
- Beat poet Gary Snyder loves his laptop: "Because its keys click like hail on a boulder" "I throw it a scrap and it hums" http://is.gd/6TeMa #
- Reminded that (1) "sun shower" is not an oxymoron and (2) museum-lecture podcasts were designed for use during house-cleaning. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice