- Reading book Cracked Media (MIT Press) by Caleb Kelly? My cited Oval interview isn't offline, per bibliography. It's at http://is.gd/8Niiz #
- Florida sounds, morning: moving furniture above, distant cars beyond, unfamiliar birds in between. And new netbook's soft hard-drive noise. #
- Belated RIP, Dale Hawkins (b. 1936), whose "Susie Q," as covered by Creedence Clearwater Revival, was an early drone-rock touchstone. #
- Insanely massive MC Escher exhibit at Boca Raton Museum, minus installation score from Orlando 2005 Show. #
- Increasing evidence that the ripples in man-made lakes look more CGI than the ripples in naturally occurring lakes. #
- Gorgeous pinball machines on display at SFO, but since they're not plugged in they look like corpse machines. #
- Breaking in new laptop, Toshiba netbook: 2.5 pounds, insane battery. Runs Ableton OK with a gig of ram. See how well it runs in coming week. #
- First warm day in some time. Windows open. Passing sirens are perfectly in tune with the radio. #
- Anything sound/art-ish happening in Miami (and thereabouts) this coming weekend (Feb 19-22)? #
- Day's word: "clang-tint," type of sonic appeal per HL Mencken, quoted in @nytimes re: pleasure of phrase "cellar door": http://is.gd/8nR1w #
- The Grant Morrison & Frank Quitely run on Batman & Robin: so cinematic, every time I come to the credits page I look for who did the score. #
- Had no idea: DJ Food/Strictly Kev is on @soundcloud. Great, funky Brian Eno mix is at the top of his feed: http://is.gd/8mRtU #
- Morning sounds: the quieter the world, the louder the hard drives. #
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice