- Hearing the sound world processed in realtime on iPhone/Touch with the @rjdj app = sonic heaven. It just hit build 0.9.9: http://is.gd/b0X8E #
- RT @soundscrapers I swear that the sound of brewing coffee is just as enticing as the smell. #
- First major change to our domestic soundscape: the city's paving the street. Will it dampen traffic noise or will cars drive faster/louder? #
- Headed across town in minivan masquerading as a taxi, its aged hull creaking like I'm deep in the bowels of a leaky sailboat lost at sea. #
- Great office sounds: business cards shuffled into a deck, printer settling into sleep mode, muffled chatter from closed conference rooms. #
- Desk across from mine covered with 200+ plastic shot glasses. Sounds of them being stacked, unstacked, moved around is the music of my day. #
- This would be an awesome Firefox addon: In Google Contacts you click on an email address; it triggers the default email client, not Gmail. #
- Morning sounds: matter of potential energy; construction equipment perched on street, awaiting hour when it may begin pneumatic pounding. #
- Morning listening: Larry Johnson's mix of field recordings from the great Wandering Ear netlabel: http://is.gd/aUkXI #
- Generally not a proponent of elective surgery, but glad to have upgraded the RAM from 1Gb to 2 on my new (and great) Toshiba NB305 laptop. #
- Monday morning sounds: more than anything, the uptick in car traffic, and the slightly tighter bus schedule, signal start of a workweek. #
- More LiveMetallica set-detail intensity: "first performance of Shortest Straw in 2010. only played six times in 2009 after 12-year absence." #
- Bonus: BBC Radiophonic book in August: http://is.gd/aSalj … RT @stasisfield Saturday for Delia Derbyshire fans: http://bit.ly/deliaderb #
- LiveMetallica-release trainspotting detail is extraordinary: "third performance of Sanitarium in 2010. last played January 31 in Sao Paulo" #
- Lee Scratch Perry's 73th birthday yesterday; JS Bach's 325th today. Seems like a good time to put the Solo Cello Suites through a Kaoss Pad. #
- Having one of those "Exactly how many of my browsers' tabs are emitting sound?" moments … #
- Sunday morning sounds: clack of intermittent typing from across the house, through mild droning haze of heater, hard drive, & fridge. #
- Another great Virginia Heffernan sound article, on the origin, shape, artificiality, & inherent human-made-ness of beeps: http://is.gd/aR9NU #
- Local church bells ring at 10:30. Recollecting what Gilbert & George said about this when they visited @deyoungmuseum — must revisit notes. #
- Belated RIP, Jun Seba (瀬場 潤, b. 1974), Japanese hip-hop DJ/producer better known as Nujabes. Audio & tribute: http://is.gd/aQhVh #
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time. • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice