- Wasn't sure if I should shave my post-flu beard or update my avatar(s). Decided to shave the beard. #
- I wish when I bought physical books they all included access to an ebook version. #
- Magical post office box offers up books from Japan and CDs from Russia. Good start to the day. #
- Saturday morning sounds: heater (rumble), hard drives (laptop, dvr: whine), refrigerator (rattle), distant cars (whir), birds (cackle). #
- ♫ Noon tune: downtempo, ringing percussion, tweaked moans = Nanaqui's "5:24 (Ligeti's Donkey)" http://j.mp/9mUYB7 @soundcloud #
- Last night's Fringe: Yes (Chris Squire's bass still sounds good on my cheap TV) + The Singing Detective + turntable-as-memory/hypnosis-aid. #
- Sound in the dusk: is that a water feature or a drain? #
- More hospital sounds: elevators, HVAC, enough beeping to fill a chiptune compilation, monotone announcements, rattling wheel-based tables. #
- Day starts with surprise Mille Plateaux PR & ends @sfmoma with Tony Cokes' 2004 video 1! layering Deleuze-ian ideas + military training film #
- C'est La Morton Feldman Records #
- Morton Feldmantronix #
- What year is it? First a new Autechre album, then a new Oval, and now I wake to news of Mille Plateaux Clicks & Cuts 5? #
- Visited friend in hospital. Not a quiet place. (Was there recently myself, with the flu.) The IV machine sounded like it was from the 1800s. #
- Jelly Roll Morton Feldman #
- Only just now realizing that "Fourteen Black Paintings" by Peter Gabriel was about Rothko Chapel. Where's the Morton Feldman mash-up? #
- If I thought about color the way I think about sound, each month the two new shades on the SF MUNI pass would be my focal point. #
- Céleste Boursier-Mougenot doesn't play on new Oval LP but he OK'd use of his art on its cover: http://j.mp/bHmdEg (& scroll to postscript). #
- Morning sounds: wind, rain, hard drives. #
- It's Monday night, so my brain is automatically playing the theme song from Damages, even though the season ended last Monday. #
- All that signage outside the Popeyes on Divisadero, and not a single shout out to JazzFest. #
- Morning sounds: heater expanding metal, hard drive spinning, cars passing, dryer rotating. #
- Sent out first Disquiet.com email newsletter in a year last night. As a heavy RSS user, have to remind myself that email still is important. #
- PHP & WordPress-type folk: Anyone know how to give a pretty face to the otherwise excellent Mailman software? i.e., http://j.mp/178Eb #
- The "copyleft sonic activism" mentioned y'day is going well. If you make music from existing sounds, reply or get me at email@example.com. #
- Got membership invites via mail to museums where I'm a member. How do I direct my financial support so that it improves their databases? #
- RIP, Alan Rich (b. 1924), music critic best known for long residency in L.A. Here he is, late last year, on Arvo Pärt: http://j.mp/9Qi7hv #
- Personally, favorite part of Kick-Ass was the tandem shout-out to Shojo Beat / Scott Pilgrim @radiomaru #
- Sunday morning sounds: hair dryer, hard drives, dish washer, various netlabel MP3s, typing, birdsong, cars, planes. Yow. #
- Prop plane circling overhead. I know how a crop feels. #
- Sounds of Richmond District: Russian anti-Obama protesters on corner: "[Garble garble] 'bailout' [garble garble] 'Hitler' [garble garble]." #
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound." • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice