- Outside in the Richmond District, a gorgeous symphony for foghorns and birdsong. #
- I think I need a self-imposed simile embargo. #
- The music section of the @make website is like some ongoing, geographically distributed electronica Manhattan project: http://is.gd/cDG50 #
- Enjoying new version of "open-source iTunes" program by @songbirdteam — major improvement: no longer see the Edge every time it turns on. #
- Morning sounds: no alarm clock, but two airplanes in quick succession, chugging overhead like tug boats in the sky. #
- Drizzly morning: Falun Gong under the Bill Graham eves, tinny radio echoing like a Lilliputian / Horton Hears a Who-ian orchetra. #
- Between ebooks and flat-screen TVs, living rooms look more and more like they did in François Truffaut's film version of Fahrenheit 451. #
- RIP, Tobias Wong (b. 1974), meta/para/trans-designer. Someone I would have like to have spoken with. #
- Time-lapse video of the installation @sjmusart of Mark Hansen & Ben Rubin's The Listening Post: http://is.gd/cB3hT #
- Current office noises: tea-kettle copier, white-noise fans, mouse clicking, distant automobiles, one slow-moving plane. #
- When the MUNI bus passes the house at midnight, it sounds empty. #
- The surveillance sign near the giant Zhang Huan sculpture in San Francisco at city hall seems like an addition courtesy of Ai Weiwei / @aiww #
- Five of us are discussing the new Oval (aka Markus Popp) album, Oh, this week here: http://is.gd/cyeHa His first such effort in a decade. #
- Morning sounds: hard drives, virtually no cars. Is it simply early, or is the Memorial Day holiday quiet extending further into the week? #
- Buying music online after hours on a national holiday. Such a pleasure. #
- From Grandpapier's 24hr-comic session Pascal Matthey on hearing loss, sound, airplanes: http://bit.ly/9qiltE via @madinkbeard @mmaddencomics #
- Which is more annoying: Nigerian Craigslist frauds? Publicists who don't identify musical characteristics of acts/records they're pitching? #
5 Most Recent Comments
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
needles: "Noll’s compositions and performances under all of his names are other-level. "
Carolyn Jackson: "It’s not your imagination. The outfit was Laurie Spiegel inspired! "
Neil: "Great, interesting piece. Marc, have you thought about making the concept of ‘Bracket Sound’ a..."
Tom: "This is heavenly "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet. • 0268 / Walking Music / Take a stroll and describe it in sound, paying tribute to the late manga great Jiro Taniguchi. • 0267 / The Metronomic Society / Create a theme song for a fictional organization. • 0266 / Vocal Cuts / Use segments of your own held vowel to make music. • 0265 / Kitchen Music / Record a piece of music that uses items from just one drawer.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice