- Marvels of data sonification: What the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) sounds like, listening for the "god particle": http://www.lhcsound.com/ #
- 661: Number of songs sampled by DJ Premier according to whosampled.com #
- 154: Number of songs sampling music produced by DJ Premier according to whosampled.com #
- 6: Number of songs sampling Aphex Twin according to whosampled.com #
- 3: Number of songs sampling Laurie Anderson according to whosampled.com #
- 1: Number of songs sampling Randy Weston according to whosampled.com #
- #ff @markemorse (amsterdam-based music), @rarebeasts (homebrew devices), @sun_boxes (sol-power sound art), @sjmusart (great museum) #
- Bees are not swarming outside. That enveloping buzz is apparently the roar of horns from a neighboring TV broadcast of the #worldcup #
- Delivery truck in reverse (beeping), photocopier in energy-save mode (light whoosh), hard drive of nearby unused computer (quiet whir). #
- Multiple power drills = The Birds x Marathon Man. #
- Disquiet.com e-newsletter next Wed. has contest for recent Fatboy Slim/David Byrne/Imelda Marcos CD (this time for real) http://is.gd/cKaDZ #
- Another dead pair of earbuds (right channel out). Cheap or pricey, these things last maybe six months for me. #
- Listening to a pre-release with ends cut to reduce piracy. Given ubiquity of slow fade, this always raises my expectations for proper close. #
- Regarding those Thunderbird 3 memory-hog issues I was having, the current release candidate of 3.1 seems to solve them. #
- The distant siren has been circling; its whine, muffled by distance, is that of a wounded animal: as if it's the thing that needs rescuing. #
- RIP, Himan Brown (age: 99), radio legend: "[N]othing visual can touch audio. … [C]reak the door open, and … your head begins to go." #
- Best thing about Apple event today (besides Bluetooth keyboard ♥ Phone/Touch on June 21) may be the simplification of "iPhone OS" to "iOS" #
- Passing by a rolling rack of Faust costumes outside the War Memorial Opera House in SF, including some serious undergirding. #
- Thunderbird 3 proving to be massive memory hog (Win7, 64bit). When I have lots of free time I'll try the 14-point doc: http://is.gd/cF38z #
- Morning's best sonic moment: when drone of approaching airplane emerged seamlessly from Tuvan moaning of the Richmond District foghorns. #
- Speaking of which the 3.5" disk ended up having the third year of epulse on it, so I'm still looking for years 1 and 2, if anyone has 'em. #
- Don't understand why just as desktops/netbooks head to cloud, apps are focus of phones. App craze is more consumerist than functionalist. #
- Gotta love that kiosks in suburban malls offer iPhone un-locking services. #
- Just got 3½-inch floppy disk from @jverlinde / @fbjournal of first few years of epulse, the email zine I founded for Tower Records in 1994. #
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound." • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice