- Few sounds combine the promise of comfort and the threat of bodily harm like that of a fast-moving ceiling fan in a small bedroom. #
- RIP, the Kinks' Pete Quaife (b. 1943) — no surprise the band's bassist was its peacemaker: http://is.gd/d4XPV #
- Trying to reconcile my deep affection for San Francisco's fog horns with the not unrelated phenomenon of multi-hour flight delays. #
- So, @ascap attacks @creativecommons in fundraising letter. It's like attacking the Quakers. Good discussion going at http://is.gd/d2SzC #
- iTunes challenges Microsoft's cumbersome bloatware: Hour into iOS 4 upgrade, 8gig Touch (gen 2) is 1/40th of way along status bar #cancel #
- On a good day, using @rjdj in the city can feel like being in an extended sequence from Michael Winterbottom's film Code 46. #
- Thank you, iTunes 188.8.131.52, for needlessly reorganizing all my iPod Touch apps into alphabetical order when upgrading yesterday evening. #
- The new @hootsuite (a Twitter-management tool) web interface is great: better use of screen-space plus theming. #
- Travel rule: don't install new software on laptop the night before a trip. #
- The album Les Chinoiseries by Onra makes the perfect background music to recent novel For the Win by @doctorow #
- Emerging from many continuous hours in the King Tubby & Co. channel at @grooveshark #
- That MC Escher time of the year in San Francisco, when the color of the daytime sky matches that of the street. #
- Drunk old man on the bus making much noise about preponderance of cellphones, in so many words. I think Roddy Piper played him in the movie. #
- Wandered outta Matmos/So Percussion show on early side, fascinated as always so many people pay for opportunity to talk through a concert. #
- The voiceover following today's noon test alarm in San Francisco sounded particularly placid, and thus all the more Orwellian. #
- While using @rjdj on iPod Touch on bus, didn't realize that some of the audio doubling was a child repeating the automated announcements. #
- City living means that a slight alteration in the sound of your neighbor's shower suggests that a new nozzle has been purchased. #
- Tonight: Matmos & So Percussion @rickshawstopsf — very much looking forward to this. #
- Disappointed iOS4 won't hook gen2 iPod Touch with Bluetooth keyboard. No luck on my G1 either. I could do equivalent 10 years ago on Palm. #
- RIP, loopers-delight.com founder Kim Flint, aka @kimatorium — via @zoecello & @kingnever #
- Dryer full, or assault-by-helicopter? #
- Today I'll listen to albums I permanently borrowed from my dad when I left for college, notably Ornette Coleman's Body Meta. #mydadsmusic #
- RT @mmaddencomics: RT @ubuweb: Cardew's score for 'Treatise' (1963-67): http://is.gd/cVl2h <- could have been in Abstract #Comics anthology #
5 Most Recent Comments
Marc Arsenault: "Have you ever played a music box over a guitar pickup? Do it. "
reis: "Thanks Super enjoyed this atmospheric masterwork. Love your review …it gains mass detail as it moves..."
Markian Volkov: "That’s what I was wondering. Now how can I promote my music on soundcloud without groups?..."
Monsterovich: "https://soundcloud.com/losttal entgroup Join us if you want normal groups back. "
spacebox720: "Hi, I’m spacebox720 and i stumbled over your article. I really enjoyed and would like to say..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0247 / Waltz, Maybe / Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien. • 0246 / Double, Quadruple, Sextuple / Compose a piece of music that increases speed in stages as it proceeds. • 0245 / Practical Music / Write a piece of music for getting things done, suitable for playing on repeat. • 0244 / Euro Mixin / The Assignment: Combine tracks from three different European netlabels (Portugal, Spain, Switzerland) into one sonic union. • 0243 / Synth Trial / The Assignment: Share the best track from your audition tape for Blade Runner 2.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice