- Why do voices on art podcasts so often sound like they're emanating from a bunker? Perhaps its wishful thinking on my part. #
- There's a special quality to the group sigh at the end of the credits to a movie like Predators when there's no extra surprise clip. #
- So addicted to Uni-Ball Signo Bit .18 gel pens that the .25 feel downright muddy, inky, thick, garish. #
- Amazing the number of (visual) art galleries on @twitter & @facebook but not on @flickr #
- Man, the Autechre / Move of Ten album discussion is going great — 20 posts and counting, lovers and dissenters: http://is.gd/digqG #
- Second iPad sighting on the bus. Screen's filthy, like a car windshield after a summer drive across Texas. #
- A bunch of us are discussing the new Autechre EP, titled Move of Ten, at http://is.gd/digqG — feel free to join in. #
- 16: Number of minutes between @downloadsquad announcement of Firefox 4 (beta) & site's 1st F4-hack tutorial (removing "big orange button"). #
- 3 of my 4 fave Tbird extensions don't work in 3.1: CompactMenu 2 (3.1), MaximizeMessagePane (1.1), QuickText (0.9). Just ArchiveThis (1.4). #
- At certain volumes (very loud, very quiet), all hip-hop is instrumental hip-hop. Right now experiencing the latter via @pandora_radio #
- World out of sync today: iTunes (forgot I have it on manual), LiveSync (one filename was too long), Google Contacts (no idea). #
- That Feelies/Cure-ish new Battles song is only on the extendo version of the Twilight: Eclipse soundtrack. #
- July 4 fireworks are like popcorn: the longer the the gap gets between them, the sooner it's done. #
- Web 2.0 will have fulfilled its promise when we can easily cross-reference models of vacuum cleaners & isolating earbuds. #
- Man, poor Chicago. Just a few days after Aaron Dodd passed: RIP, free-jazz saxophonist Fred Anderson (b. 1929) http://is.gd/dff6H #
- OK, once during Red, as Molina/Rothko stared at a painting with his back to the audience, I did wonder if Doc Ock's mecha-arms would appear. #
- Enabled @wordpress "threaded comments" on Disquiet.com; conversations clearer now. Not clear how to let some users comment w/o moderation. #
- Sunday morning = John Fahey, Lovesliescrushing, Ava Mendoza. #
- I Am Love: Melodrama! Field-recording sound design! John Adams score! Tilda Swinton! Flashbacks! Daydreams! Yow. See this on a big screen. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice