- There's a special smile that greets "all rights reserved" photos of public graffiti on Flickr.com. #
- Morning sounds: shower, hard drive; no birds, no cars. The entirely unfamiliar industrial drone that preceded yesterday's quake is gone. #
- Sprinklers on, so water pressure's low. Carbonite's backing up my hard drive to the cloud, so same can be said of my Internet connection. #
- Footage of original Hawaii Five-0 theme-song musicians in re-recording session (for TV reboot) embedded in this story: http://is.gd/dDUt8 #
- Continuing to enjoy habit of listening to score before seeing movie — it's kinda like a sonic spoiler, and brings it out during showing. #
- Yowza — that quake moved my chair. Of course, my chair is on wheels. Looks like it was maybe 10 miles off the San Francisco coast. #
- 5 Reasons for a Musician to Consider @creativecommons — a little guest post I just did for @wammusic — http://is.gd/dDwnQ #
- Gotta love "cassette only" albums that will later "appear as a compact disc." So they're "only" for now. #
- All electronics are louder in the evening. Refrigerator, hard drive, a watch's hand, a light switch turned off then on, a distant motor. #
- This new @firefox build, 3.6.7, has been crash-tastic. #
- After serious CSS fiddling, comments on Disquiet.com now cleaner: threaded, spaced right, colored simply. Numbering is odd, but otherwise… #
- Morning sounds: Tivo hard drive like some digital babbling brook, buses outside rampaging like rhinos. #
- Pretty great that @xlr8rmag does free full-issue PDFs. August has Oval, LA's "abstract instrumental scene" & more http://is.gd/dBt0m #
- People come & go on Facebook so often that if you use an IM client (like Pidgin), there's a near-constant stream of enter/exit tones. #
- Excellent abstract hip-hop instrumentals by @knxwledge http://is.gd/dB2pb — via @whyarcka in reply to WhyArcka #
- Between The Matrix & Inception, Robert Longo may be a bigger influence on movie fight scenes than John Woo & Quentin Tarantino combined. #
- Best sounds in Inception: Johnny Marr's guitar, the knowing use of Édith Piaf, & (yeah, cautious on spoilers) a certain truncation. #
- Can't overstate pleasure, if not outright benefits, of living walking distance from movie theater, especially one offering double features. #
- Morning sounds: shower, heater (this is San Francisco), hard drive, various netlabel offerings. #
- Walking by neighborhood restaurant, briefly mistook sound of fan for, yes, vuvuzela. #ptsd #
- Wouldn't it be easier to tidy up to non-English-language movies if a beep signaled that it's time to look at the screen to catch a subtitle? #
- Q: What did William Faulkner's voice sound like? A: Exactly as you imagined: http://is.gd/dzRuE #
- Thanks @dylanhorrocks for my Twitter background, up all this month, in my "Curating Twitter: Sketches of Sound" project: http://is.gd/dzOJ5 #
- Looks like @evernote sync is back up. Finishing some projects before heading to @sfelectricworks for David Byrne / Dave Eggers exhibit. #
- Man, @evernote sync issues, too (judging by an @twitter search, not an isolated issue). Trouble in the cloud this morning. #
- Supposed to update @twitter background with great original @dylanhorrocks image but profile updates now have tech issues: http://is.gd/dzrIe #
- Morning sounds: hard drive, distant sanitation vehicles (and related activity), little if any birdsong. #
- Will not be attending #comiccon this week — may time reading of China Miéville's Kraken to experience it vicariously. #
- Last day for @mintylewis background on my Twitter account; new one tomorrow. Disquiet.com enewsletter Wednesday to include Scorn CD contest. #
- Another netlabel into the eternal Internet dustbin RT @nq_music @jhfisher Hippocamp closes after 9 years: http://hippocamp.net/?catID=200 #
- Celebrate World Listening Day with Pootie Tang: http://is.gd/dxsZg (following up @npseaver on AC/DC's critique of R. Murray Schafer). #
- My friends' kid apparently wakes up singing happy birthday to her stuffed animals. It's a riot. #
- Morning sounds, Pasadena edition: HVAC, laptop drive, birds (latter in surround-sound mode rather than just from backyard like back home). #
- It's July 18 — happy "World Listening Day": http://worldlisteningproject.org. And in not unrelated news: happy birthday, R. Murray Schafer. #
- Los Angeles vanity-plate moment: confirmed guy with OBOE DR plates actually repairs oboes for a living. Convertibles allow for conversation. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice