- Bill Fontana will transform @sfmoma bridge w/ "hypersonic speakers and vibration sensors that respond to visitors’ footsteps." Opens Nov 20. #
- Want a push-poller to hang up the phone? Ask who is paying for the "research." (Speaking of which, surveillance exhibit @sfmoma on 10/30.) #
- Construction solo: One lone, invisible hammer slap-echoes crosswise up and down the intersecting streets. #
- The three Palm devices (IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Clie SJ20) in my closet temper my desire to upgrade from a G1 to a Droid 2, at least somewhat. #
- When mashups happen in "real" life (aka meatspace): Patti LaBelle joins cast of Fela! on Broadway http://is.gd/egdXo She'll play his mother. #
- Trailer for promising film on "soundtracker" Gordon Hempton, whose recent book sits alongside Keizer's & Prochnik's http://is.gd/egd6J #
- Neu!, Roedelius, & Fujiya & Miyagi all have CDs on Gronland, the label founded by @groenemeyer, who scored Anton Corbjin's The American. #
- Often when I read about a given DJ's ongoing "residency," I instinctively assume they're apprentice medical practitioners by day. #badtvshow #
- Fog horns are out of control tonight. The Phantom of the Opera has put the pedal to the metal. #
- I think of Los Lobos as the band that releases CDs between Latin Playboys CDs. My csindy.com review of Tin Can Trust: http://is.gd/ef27u #
- The sign in the library reads: "Text Only Zone." Presumably that refers to mobile technology and not the institution's holdings. #
- Despite all those James Murphy tunes in Greenberg, the film's overarching musical theme seems to be the act of dramatically truncating songs #
- Soon as I turn off this computer, it's gonna be all the more quiet. #
- Another day listening (mostly) to 1-track CDs: Ákos Garai (Pilis), Oxide (Chop Shop), Dirac (Phon), & Nilsen/Stilluppsteypa (Passing Out). #
- That previous comment was John Lurie (Lounge Lizards) talking in the sad article about him in the Aug 16 @newyorker issue http://is.gd/ecjGG #
- "There's a spot on Astor Place, near where the cube is, between B'way & Lafayette–a saxophone sounds incredible there at about 6 o'clock." #
- Workmen next door just removed from ground an ancient empty metal drum 1.5x size of my car. That's what the banging has been about. #
- Was just followed by musician whose recent album I was listening to a few hours ago. Maybe my @songbirdteam install has sprung a leak? #
- No, silly @gracenotetweets — it's a Steve Roden 3" CD (Ecstasy Showered) not chapter 17 of disc 7 of Stephen King's Bag of Bones audiobook. #
- This is the Bomb Squad: @shocklee notes @cdmblogs post on Isao Hashimoto's thermonuclear-testing sonification (1945-98) http://is.gd/ebHnX #
- RIP, Jack Parnell (b. 1923), among many other things the (human) bandleader for The Muppet Show. http://is.gd/ebDrd #mahna #mahna #
- I'll be presenting on storytelling (visual + serial, aka comics) at the #planningness conference in Boulder on Sep30/Oct1: planningness.com #
- So, iOS folders can only handle 12 apps despite a pane with room for another 8 & an interface that trained us to swipe across the landscape? #
- Quake hit while listening to Bill Laswell, Toshinori Kondo, & DJ Krush. Now that's some heavy bass. (Also felt by @footage at 5:52pm) #
- Only listened to CDs consisting of 1 track today: Celer Brittle, Terry Riley In C, Brendan Murray Commonwealth, Village Orchestra Sirens … #
- Autofill choices in @soundcloud when listing a track as "8bit": 8bit, 8bitelectronic, 8bits, 8bitish, 8bit*synth*pop #
- "We stared grimly at the radio": Katherine Dunn on listening to boxing in her dad's car while her mom screamed bloody murder. Black Clock 12 #
- Used to think tags would replace genres. Still do, but this morning wonder if it may end up being waveform visualizations that do. #
- Morning sounds: white noise of hard drives & traffic. Then: the beeping of bus slowing to stop while another passes in opposite direction. #
- Car behind me kept honking as I backed up. Turned out to be empty, with an auto-proximity alert. How many beeps to drain the car's battery? #
- I know far too much for my good about the Sprint Samsung Epic 4G and the Verizon Motorola Droid 2. I blame blipverts. #
- Morning sound: a bus that definitely didn't stop for a stop sign. #
- Headed north: 20 miles, and probably as many degrees Fahrenheit; iPod loaded for bear. #
- D'oh! The SFEMF is across town, near Roosevelt's Tamales, but there's a special event at the de Young. No matter; just got my festival pass. #
- The 2010 sfemg.org (Sept 9-11) includes Chowning, Buchla, Mathieu, Trimpin, Hammer, Müller, & Cortini & is walking distance from my house. #
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends. • 0259 / Signals Lost / Summon up a horror story in sound.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice