- RIP, Chris Dedrick (b. 1947) of Free Design: Enoch Light alum; influenced Stereolab, Cornelius (reissued them on Trattoria); screen composer #
- One of those days when I realize I've 4 cameras on various objects w/ me, & that's in my (truly) light bag. Would be 5 if iPod Touch had 1. #
- First Nolan/Zimmer's Inception theme, then Bieber at 800%. What will be the next slo-mo sound phenomenon? http://is.gd/erQxk #
- Morning sounds: hard drives whirring, heater coming on, city buses rattling. The fog horns have abated. #
- Recent Disquiet.com email contest for new Books CD asked readers to name fave recent novel. Interesting list, largely lit-fic and sci-fi. #
- Transformers 3: Rise of the Makers #diyfilms #
- Use MySpace? (Jokes aside, tons of musicians do.) Act on newly simple apps-blocking options in updated privacy settings: http://is.gd/erFoL #
- #ff brick-layers: @sfemf @icainboston @vinylathletes * brick-makers: @mapmap @gregdavismusic @markemorse @mariplasma @greg_pond #
- Foghorns especially garrulous tonight. Me thinks they've been reading some China Miéville in the off hours. #
- Forget the #webisdead silliness in the September @wired — the issue has not one but two Moog stories, including a gorgeous prototype pic. #
- RIP, Bill Millin (b. 1922), the Scottish bagpiper whose D-Day role was immortalized in the film The Longest Day. #sonicweapons #
- The device in Mad Men ep4 this season (the secretary can hear the phone but can't be heard) is called a "mother-in-law" http://is.gd/ep6gp #
- Entire house vibrating as the apartment complex down the street undergoes a pneumatic intervention. Think "Steve Reich meets Consolidated." #
- Great @gregdavismusic modular analog last night, + tangerine dreaminess (myspace.com/moholynagymusic ) & folk drones (myspace.com/aures00). #
- Netlabels without RSS feeds are arguably more confusing than art museums without @flickr accounts. #
- Update: the Sep30/Oct1 yarn I'll be spinning about serial + visual storytelling (aka comics) has moved to Denver from Boulder #planningness #
- Looking forward to @gregdavismusic tonight at the Hemlock. #
- Sad day for crate diggers: Fat Beats closing its NY & LA stores http://ow.ly/2rtUr via @shocklee #
- A little pre-noon James Blackshaw … #
- New Aronofsky looks like Center Stage mashed with X-Men. (I'm especially happy it means a new Clint Mansell score.) via @popcandy @brubaker #
- ♫ Afternoon movie score: "Self Defense" cue by Ranju Majumdar from indie thriller @determinism streaming on @soundcloud http://is.gd/emc8r #
- Mistook passing airplane for weekly noon-Tuesday San Francisco emergency-warning siren; briefly thought it was two hours later than it is. #
- Thanks, Hannes Pasqualini (papernoise.net), who drew my Twitter background this month. More on the Bolanzo, Italy, artist http://is.gd/elRYd #
- Many thanks again to @dylanhorrocks for providing the original illustration for my Twitter account last month (7/20-8/16) http://is.gd/elS8E #
- RIP, Robert Wilson (b. 1957?), Gap Band bassist. Check out 37 tracks that sample 'em (Snoop, Paris, Nas): http://is.gd/el9qv via @shocklee #
- New Disquiet.com email newsletter Wed. includes contest for Books' recent CD, The Way Out. Subscribe here: http://disquiet.com/subscribe/ #
- "I Am Sitting in a Room Podcasting" http://is.gd/ekNMI RT @rootstrata live loop fail #
- Having nothing to do with this, but very pleased that it exists: http://www.myspace.com/weidenbaummetal #
- There have been many great developments in music e-tailing. Searching for an 11-track release before @emusic rolls over is not one of them. #
- Happy 1st anniversary to @new_people in SF's Japantown. Impressive that its Superfrog Gallery y'day could block loud street-festival bands. #
- When mashups happen in "real" life: right now Social D & Nas playing separate stages @sfoutsidelands — listening in distance for the merge. #
- Great free composed-field-recording release by @landrecorder at http://is.gd/ejhs3 I wrote the liner notes. Thanks for the invite, @sbtrmnl #
- For the record, I'm not in Hayward, California, despite what the weirdly inaccurate @twitter auto-location service often seems to believe. #
- The 1/2 quarter-speed / 1/2 hyper-speed dub of Mala's "Don't Let Me Go" (new Soul Jazz 12", flip of Four Tet) is killer http://is.gd/ejgnH #
- I'm closer to @sfoutsidelands physically than @twitter-ly. Don't think I've seen one Tweet on it this entire weekend, though it is trending. #
- I do realize I have conflated some Internet colleagues into one imagined individual, whereas other multiple avatars are in fact one person. #
- Unlike Gilbert&George, I have no political issue with church bells. But when they ring other than on hour or half hour they're disorienting. #
- Impressive. Over 300 active netlabels (free, legal) listed by @displatypus http://is.gd/eiT0Z … My list (merely 114) http://is.gd/eiT4w #
- Morning sounds: shower, dryer, hard drives, plane, and (likely imagined, as it's still early) rumbling of the nearby Outside Lands Festival. #
- Think I'm going this morning to hear Kitaro play in Japantown @new_people — never sure if he's Japan's Jean Michael Jarre or its Mantovani. #
- Enjoying the modern silent film that is driver after driver talking on speaker phone (or Bluetooth earbud) behind windshields. #tati2010 #
- Enjoying the 8bit Steve Reich that is standing in line amid multiple beeping cash registers. #
- Boston alert: @callithumpian doing Gavin Bryars' Sinking of the Titanic on Aug 20 @icainboston #
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice