- RIP, free jazz saxophonist Noah Howard (b. 1943) http://is.gd/eUNp6 #
- Anyone crunched the data from AllMusicGuide (or anywhere else) to see the average arc of ratings of musicians' albums over time? #
- Morning sounds: fridge, hard drive, small hiccups of feeding child, cars. #
- My kid's gonna grow up assuming that fog horns are part of the inherent, natural sound environment. #
- Morning sounds: from the world, fog horns, teen chatter (walking to nearby school), traffic; from the infant, gurgles, cries, sighs, snores. #
- Thanks for the congrats on our brand new baby. That was a great #replies feed to read thru. We're home from the hospital. Mom's doing well. #
- Baby's first fog horn. And second. And third. #
- So many of the creaking doors and other noises in this wing of the hospital are easily mistaken for crying infants. #
- Looks like I will miss the On Land & SFEMF festivals in San Francisco these next weeks. Good excuse: my first child was born Tuesday night. #
- Someday when two people call each other simultaneously (usually back, after dropped calls), the calls will connect and the charges split. #
- The HVAC in this building is such that even though it's high on a hill, it feels like you're in a bunker deep underground. #
- When a persistent jackhammer several blocks away suddenly goes quiet, the first assumption is assault. #
- Not crickets. A mid-day car alarm many, many blocks away. #
- Morning sounds: heater, which sometimes sounds like skateboard; plane, which sometimes sounds like bomb; and dog, which sounds like dog. #
- Attention, coders: @buddhamachine is looking for an #android #developer for a Buddha #app #
- Morning sounds: especially still, as if the sound environment were taking off the final weekend in August, before the school year begins. #
- The clerk at the department store directed me to "seasonal electronics" — now that would be a great name for a netlabel. #
- Listening to review copy of forthcoming Underworld album, Barking. Not a bad soundtrack for a Saturday afternoon. #
- Sold my Electro-Harmonix 2880. Think I'm gonna fiddle, so to speak, with the looper in Ableton for now. #
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound." • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice