- How to clean your records with glue, from my favorite instrumental-hip-hop blog: http://www.vinylathletes.com/archives/1179 #
- Someone should feed the fog horns. They've been crying for some time now. #
- Previous quote from review by @scarthomas (aka Scarlett Thomas) of Zero History by @greatdismal (aka William Gibson) http://nyti.ms/9WEIRK #
- "I used to play records and imagine…some other teenager on the other side of the globe was listening to the same thing at the same time." #
- ♫ Afternoon tunes: Buddha Funk's jazztronic Soundtrack to an Imaginary Film http://is.gd/f4xxQ with track "Cars and Traffic in the Distance" #
- R. Luke DuBois on making an MP3 a day for a year http://is.gd/f4lAx (@nytimes) Bonus: the site's coterie of anti-new-music comment trolls #
- #ff posthumous tweeter @_raymond_scott_ … live critic @geetadayal … nu-mu distribu @mimaroglu #
- A video was made to accompany Prehab's track from our 2006 Eno/Byrne remix compilation, Our Lives in the Bush of Disquiet http://is.gd/f4huL #
- Really wish one could easily play Tunnel Shoot to the music from Canabalt #ios #
- Scanner + Post Modern Jazz Quartet = 'Blink of an Eye,' the Nov album I'm now most excited about: http://t.co/8brFK2B via @robinrimbaud #
- Wish I could make @sfemf tonite but will mostly be home listening to soothing sounds of new baby. May make one of the shows before it ends. #
- Morning sounds: traffic, hard drives (Tivo XL more quiet than Series 2, but for now the difference in sound makes it more noticeable). #
- One of those days when I wish Moore's Law would cease, and people would focus on maximizing what we already have. #
- Thought the Braille art in (blind character) Auggie's room in TV's Covert Affairs said "AAC Love" (above his stereo) but it says "Love Love" #
- The entire new album O by Oval (aka Markus Popp) currently free on @amazon http://amzn.to/9J7Sxv (in U.S.), via @richarddevine @tobiasreber #
- "What's that high-pitched noise coming from the new TV?" "That's the Sawako track from the @12k_label Colorfield Variations DVD" "Oh, OK." #
- How thick is the fog? Somewhere between the opening of Mike Allred's graphic novel Dead Air & the end of Greg Bear's novel Blood Music. #
- Awaiting take-out at Vietnamese restaurant. I pretty much can't hear "Moon River" w/o imagining how it'd sound on Kid Koala's turntable. #
- C'mon @borders — awaiting that release-day copy of Zero History by @greatdismal (aka William Gibson) #
- Morning sounds: the speed of distant cars in stark contrast to whirring hard drives and occasional infant burp/sigh from neighboring room. #
- The house sounds so different when you open one window a crack. I'm sure that's a cheesy metaphor, but the practical reality is fascinating. #
- In the future, will people think life before Obama happened in lo-res, the way we think life before LBJ happened in black & white? #hdtv #
- Again put one small dish off center in the dishwasher to get that special off-kilter rattle. #homebrew #counterpoint #
- HDTV seems to make Mad Men and Rubicon look like episodes of Playhouse 90 (period setting and feel, respectively, notwithstanding). #
- I'm new to HDTV — is it the norm that HD versions of shows air at different times than their SDTV versions? #
- The whole single-earbud thing makes it look like much of the city is on security detail. #
- Anyone recommend a small USB-audio adapter for Win7? (I'm getting a little tired of listening through my netbook's nervous system.) #
- Happy birthday, John Cage — I'll make art with my coffee-cup rings today in your memory. #
- I think I knew this breast pump in an earlier life for its work on the record label Chain Reaction. #
- Love that the treatment of "radio" in Touch Radio logo looks more like TV; reminds me of the message in this xkcd comic: http://is.gd/eVrP0 #
- Evening sounds: tiny breaths on my chest, post-feeding; dryer and washer dueting through the wall; laptop purring like a mecha kitty. #
- Best overheard statement at the pediatrician: "Can I have another pen? I can't write with this one with the stuffed bear attached to it." #
- There's a special sense of accomplishment when your pen stops writing, and you open it up to find it entirely void of ink. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice