- Re: Medal of Honor fracas: 1, seeing adversary role-play as "fun" misunderstands "play"; 2, shebang ignores military recruitment via gaming #
- Gonna be a silent Christmas, at least in UK: "John Cage's 4'33'': festive sound of a defeated Simon Cowell" http://is.gd/fGK59 via @guardian #
- .@npseaver Quite amazing how much sound's in Fringe, like episode when they took pane of glass from window and replayed incident like an LP. in reply to npseaver #
- Edward Rothstein on cam-phones in museums: "looking–for which museums were created–becomes a memory before it has even begun" via @nytimes #
- Man, Fringe's aural fixation made itself heard in last night's episode, "The Box": Peter going deaf in order to defuse a hypersonic bomb? #
- 35,474: number of plays of Brian Eno's "2 Forms of Anger" on @soundcloud in past 48 hours. http://is.gd/fCvoO And still no samizdat remixes? #
- I'm sure my four-week-old child's fingernails make a sound when I trim them with a scissor, but my utter fear deafens me to it. #
- You know if you'd told me in my Asimov-drunk teens that some day I'd think negatively about the term "robocall" I wouldn't have believed you #
- Baby's first vinyl: The Pharcyde's Labcabincalifornia (Instrumentals). #
- Looking forward to the Music App Summit next Tuesday in San Francisco. Will be there all afternoon. #
- Afternoon listen: Philip Jeck and Janek Schaefer on BBC in conversation re: their recording histories and favorite music: http://is.gd/fFcjN #
- Couldn't make it out of town to #planningness in Denver. Hope everyone had an informative and great time. #
- My review of the recent Underworld album, Barking: http://is.gd/fEQzt "third-party producers lend…a welcome mix-tape vibrancy." #
- Leonardo Rosado (aka @sbtrmnl) asks listeners to rate tracks he's recording to cull best work for next CD: http://opaqueglitter.tumblr.com/ #
- #ff geo-locative sonic hub @urban_sound + composer/critic @felsenfeld + electronic musician @mystified131 #
- Lessig re: #fb film: "Imagine a jester from King George III’s court, charged in 1790 with writing a comedy about the new American Republic." #
- Morning sounds: breathing of two sleepers (wife, child); occasional bus and car; no birds, planes, or (first time in a while) foghorns. #
- Some friends are doing an amazing urban art project in/about New Orleans, where I lived from 1999-2003. Please support: http://kck.st/dqyDpC #
- Just fixed a lovely typo. Thanks for the alert, @earslend #
- Cartoonist Megan Kelso will be at #APE2010 in SF, and I'll be interviewing her on Saturday, October 16, at noon. Details: http://is.gd/fCYbV #
- OK, Brian Eno's quasi-post-punk song "2 Forms of Anger" off forthcoming album has been out for 24 hours. Where are the communal remixes? #
- Detailed post-mortem on making of game Canabalt by @adamatomic. Just wish there'd been some mention of music/sound role. http://is.gd/fCKtP #
- Best way to grok Daniel Lanois' impact on Neil Young's Le Noise is to watch Young play (live in studio) & hear recording http://is.gd/fCyoC #
- Baby's first Brian Eno is this free-streaming track off forthcoming album, appropriately titled Small Craft on a Milk Sea http://is.gd/fCvoO #
- Autechre remix of the Bug that @factmagazine had online is back up via @selftitledmag http://is.gd/fCuoW / Best thing Ae's done in long time #
- Noticed that I hadn't put ice cubes in my morning iced coffee in a month — reunited now with the crackling and popping. #
- On Facebook added a "suggested friend" I know is dead. I trust it's a tribute site since he died several years before Facebook ever existed. #
- Last line of Goodnight Moon: "Goodnight noises everywhere" (File under: The things we remember when we have kids.) #
- More detail on @internetarchive removing Anki Toner's silent-groove appropriations http://is.gd/fALnc More on this later (via @mystified131) #
- ♫ Afternoon tune: "Soft Like Leaves Falling" http://is.gd/fAKVA by Leonardo Rosado aka @sbtrmnl #
- Afternoon counterpoint: electric kid swing versus breast pump. #
- In the future, every noun will instigate 15 Twitterbots. (A tweet on Sons of Anarchy sound earned me a motorcycle-bot.) #
- "From orbit: Listening to Sting on my ipod watching the world go by – literally" @astro_mike http://is.gd/fADdp via @juliandibbell #space♫ #
- Every time a motorcycle passes by, I think TiVo has accidentally replayed Sons of Anarchy. #
- Saw scraggly K Records logo in someone's Twitter-follow list; in-brain iPod immediately played half-remembered Dub Narcotic Sound System. #
- "Bodhisattva, let me take you by the app": Hong Kong programmer's #android Buddha Machine; elegant interface, four tracks http://is.gd/fAnov #
- "Weather conditions, wind direction, everyday sounds around this time must be considered." http://is.gd/fAksm #rippedfromtheheadlines #
- "police to investigate and report on distance/direction of a scream of kidnapped boy" http://is.gd/fAksm via @tobiasreber (thanks, man) #
- Morning sounds: foghorns, oddly quiet and remote. #
- RIP, Texas tenor saxophonist Ed Wiley, Jr. (b. 1930). #
- Interesting @kickstarter project I just kicked in on, all about "the sound of art" http://kck.st/92ElnD // Deadline is Oct 7. #
- Messing with instrumental hip-hop MP3s in Plogue Bidule, based on use by @cinchel (the software, not the tunes). #
- Joseph Horowitz on the #Singularity (made you look) … of George Gerswhin: "keenings that can only be called Slavic." http://is.gd/fylIQ #
- Nearby jackhammer, just far enough away to be pleasant. #
- Weird that #newtwitter right-hand column truncates top tweet after two lines. (At least in Firefox on Win 7.) #
- Beastie Boys nominated for Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame; hope someone they sampled — maybe Zeppelin's Page or Plant — does their introduction. #
- Meaning of wolf's howl: "The coyote is saying to everyone, fellow barking dogs or otherwise, 'We are here.'" http://is.gd/fyaIx via @nytimes #
- Neil Young's Le Noise is a wool sweater knitted with barbed wire. #
- Echo on Daniel Lanois' production of Neil Young's Le Noise sounds like he rented Pauline Oliveros & Stewart Dempster's Deep Listening cave. #
- Wonder how hard it'd be for RSS/Atom to allow some sorta background-image code to allow for visual continuity between feed and source-site. #
- Old-school music publicity: Tracking lost packages. New-school music publicity: Dealing with broken MP3 archives and stalled downloads. #
- .@sublamp @mapmap I think there's a subcategory of "music by graphic designers for graphic designers." Maybe there's a photog equivalent. #
- Of all the technology in this home, the refrigerator has the most complex and varied sounds. #
- Buying records after midnight: the $2.99 deal for the Trent Reznor / Atticus Ross score to The Social Nework. http://amzn.to/TSNalbum #
- Hip-hop forensics, sampling genealogy, and how context beats (and, of course, builds on) crowd-sourced data: http://is.gd/fwrzY #
- .@tedfriedman RJDJ is the MSG of everyday sonic life. As a phở addict, I mean that as a compliment. #
- My Spanish is poor but http://is.gd/fwhst seems to say @internetarchive yanked Anki Toner's album made of silent LP grooves due to © concern #
- "[M]usic can be remixed. Books aren’t remixed," says @greatdismal (aka William Gibson) http://bit.ly/ah7BVs via @significobs #
- Family drama: Life's fancier with a soundtrack playing in background of Skype conversation. Question is: Carl Stalling or Ennio Morricone? #
- San Francisco soundscape tour tomorrow at 3pm http://is.gd/fw6yg led by Dennis Paoletti, principal at Shen Milsom Wilke acoustic consultancy #
- Lanois "tweaked and toyed with…sounds, processing…signals"; "looped, echoed…multiplied fragments of…performances" http://is.gd/fvRED #
- Neil Young on producer Daniel Lanois' role: "He does a performance in the mix, and I do a performance in the performance" http://is.gd/fvRED #
- Morning sounds: surf whoosh of traffic, plumbing of a child, skeletal shifting of an old home, tinnitus ring of hard drives. #
- Sorry to read of 21 Grand's zoning issues. Space zoned for “community assembly” and the Orwellian "cultural non-assembly" http://is.gd/fuRKO #
- If 5 other San Francisco parents have Fisher-Price Power-Plus Plug-In Swings we could make some excellent "Steve Reich playdate" music. #
- Presumably the "10 songs" in this Fisher-Price Power-Plus Plug-In Swing don't count the enchanting metronomic techno of its 6 speed settings #
- The new(ish) remixes by Autechre (of the Bug) and Burial (of Commix) have reinvigorated my interest in both. Maybe I prefer them as filters. #
- Follow-up advice in that "shark attacks hydrophone" discussion: "Tow in greater speeds," "Hide shiny components," "Carry a rabbit’s foot" #
- Anyone contributing #soundart to http://www.art4dilla.com/ contest? Rules do say "original artwork (of any medium)." Voting begins Sept 30. #
- Sunday-morning shout-out to @luvsound & the musicians involved in this incredible, generous, neonate-friendly compilation http://is.gd/fltDp #
- Foghorns especially mellifluous this morning. Feel like I'm waking up from a nap in the middle of a concert. #
- A Prophet is Godfather 2–good, but why does flick about Arab kid maturing in French prison end w/ Texan singing Americanized song by German? #
- DeLillo on interactive fiction's PoV narcissism: "Novels will become user-generated … with [reader] as main character" http://is.gd/ft82Q #
- Soundgrid (for iOS) now can import original instrument packages (aka samples) and upload to soundcloud? That's pretty excellent. #
- "Quiet alert" = "when a neonate is calm and attentive, with eyes open, ready to become acquainted with an adult person" http://is.gd/fsTBW #
- Embrace the cliché: new dad selling old Technics 1200s. #
- Great Google (mis)Translate incident from a Japanese musician's blog: a "last minuet announcement" #
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice