- Looked at Rapstar to see if Japan-made game features any DJ Krush (no but there's Premiere, 9th Wonder, Blaze); found this: tweetbattles.com #
- New 75th-birthday edition of Arvo Pärt’s Tabula Rasa, 200-page hardcover book including score, CD, additional material: http://is.gd/fTfCL #
- Morning sounds: various electric hums, faraway cars in motion, nearby bus, footsteps. #
- Think my parents are at the Magnus Lindberg concert at New York Philharmonic. I'm receiving cellphone jpgs of stage full of junkyard metal . #
- "Filling in crosswords won't make you Walt Mossberg." Fun chalk-graffiti video a friend of mine shot: http://is.gd/fSaZo via @mrscobra #
- .@pbailey You'd think if Apple were serious about HTML5 it'd put an iota of its massive coding infrastructure to work on making basic tools. in reply to pbailey #
- Basic answer to "Are there iPad-friendly netlabels?": A direct MP3 link will inelegantly stream; no netlabels seem to have implemented HTML5 #
- RT @osakimandias There is nothing in the world like the sound of a low-bypass jet engine. It's like music for aviation geeks. #fleetweek #
- RT @mmaddencomics On Shannon Wheeler's website you can filter the strips by "penultimate silent panel": http://bit.ly/cG2dRN #
- RT @harkaway Deep night's orchestra; tenuous sirens and dogs, wind in autumn streets. #idontusuallydohaikubutimanewdad via @greatdismal #
- In the future, outdated technology doesn't just become art; art becomes technology. New @tate Muybridgizer app & @newmuseum GysinDream app. #
- Little cold this morning for birds, yet I hear birds. Oh, it's not birds; it's Tiffany Defoe's sax playing through headphones on my floor. #
- AudioGourmet: "Bandcamp saying you have to pay? This means our free download credits ran out. So we have done back up on Internet Archive." #
- Pumpkin ice cream. The dish, straight up; the shop, a medley of industrial refrigeration drones. #
- .@hecanjog By iPad-friendly I mean netlabels that stream from iPad's Safari with ease the way they do on regular old computer browsers. in reply to hecanjog #
- Anyone have a list handy of iPad-friendly netlabels? #
- My copy of new Lesser/Wobbly/Matmos album has arrived. Now I need to make my way across town to get it. It's like The Warriors, but ambient. #
- My inchoate iPad thoughts: alarmingly closed protocol, novelty-consumerist propensity, poor wifi. And a vibrant tech-art developer community #
- Not sure which is better in Osmos: the potential to become an "Ambient Master," or the title of its "Chief Aesthetic Officer." #ipad #ios #
- Wondering if that poor town saddled with wind-farm noise pollution also "celebrates" Fleet Week. #
- First sonic evidence of Fleet Week, plane rushing overhead like a serrated cloud. #
- Osmos:Bloom::Soderbergh's Solaris:Tarkovsky's Solaris (that's not a criticism) #
- Radio after my own heart: Hugh Levison's 8-minute, 2004 piece about his newborn's "snorts, bangs, clicks, and trumpeting" http://is.gd/fPSGG #
- My brief review of new Bad Plus (Never Stop): no covers (a first), no vocalist (been a while), an addictive title track: http://is.gd/fPPWu #
- When the iPad comes with a front-facing camera, all conversations on it will be Bill Viola videos. #
- Current fave thing to do with iPad is run Circle Cutter in RJ Voyager's Doppelganger and just have it contort the sounds of the home office. #
- Excited @artfagcity "Sound of Art" Kickstarter project now $513 over 10k goal, half a day before funding was to close. http://kck.st/92ElnD #
- We replace one form of pollution with another. Details on "miserable hum of clean energy." http://is.gd/fOhAx #windfarm #sonicemminentdomain #
- What's the word (aside from "ancient") for my feeling whenever I read an ebook that somehow, somewhere, there's a missing paragraph? #
- Listening to new Rhys Chatham album on bus home from Music App Summit. Swabbing networked-media brainspace with monastic post-rock. #mel2010 #
- Those protesters, it seems, aren't talking about digital privacy or tech-monarchic hegemony. Their concern: phone-induced cancer. #mel2010 #
- Protesters outside #mel2010 with signs decrying "FCC/CTIA collusion." #
- Music app, like funny, means different things to different people. Watch gearheads and novelties and content delivery share space. #mel2010 #
- Bln.kr has interesting feedback-prodding engine, getting listener responses to musicians. #mel2010 #
- The name of Dave Stewart's micropayment system appears to be "Famos" (no "u'). #mel2010 #
- Dave Stewart introducing tiered/gradated micropayment system. #mel2010 #
- disquiet: Q: "How long has your music app been in development?" A: "14 hours. Wait, what time is it? 15 hours." #mel2010 #
- Q: "How long has your #musicapp been in development?" A: "14 hours. Wait, what time is it? 15 hours." #
- .@rlainhart I'll keep an eye out for Rudess/Morph. I really dig his Hexatone, even if at times I feel like I'm playing a sonic RPG #musicapp in reply to rlainhart #
- I guess Billboard calls its conferences "Summits" because "Show'n'Tell" lacks a certain gravitas. #musicapp #
- Headed to Billboard Music App Summit; observe intersection of interactive tech, sound & that less frequent (until recently) factor: populism #
- Would it be too much to ask that electric razors include information about the amplitude and key of their drones? #
- RIP, Art Jarvinen (b. 1956), cofounder of California EAR Unit http://is.gd/fKK2S http://is.gd/fKK3P #
- Much less chatter than expected in advance of tomorrow's Music App Summit. Anything there anyone's particularly looking forward to? #
- ♫ Afternoon tune: industrial drone-craft from Tokyo-based Yasuo Akai http://is.gd/fKCW6 #
- "Sound of Art" LP project by @artfagcity has 61 hours to get last 13.4% of its financial goal: http://kck.st/92ElnD #
- Increasingly aware listening to music with earbuds like eating food only with your tongue, ignoring rest of your mouth @Direwires @Big_Pause #
- Are earbuds and 128kbps streams worse for music (sonically) than AM radio, or just different? #
- Reminders in tonight's Mad Men how lo-fi both television and telephony were in the 1960s. Which is to say, still slightly better than Skype. #
- If he ends up joining the ad business, then Peggy's new-ish boyfriend, Mark, is my current vote for the series' Don DeLillo character. #
- "See that? I kissed you and it got quiet." (From tonight's Mad Men episode, "Chinese Wall.") #
- Love livemetallica.com concert-data detail: "first time in over 17 years…Breadfan…played in Sydney"; photo captions timed to the minute. #
- Great. Bought bit.trip beat, and only later realized it doesn't work on the 2nd-gen iPod Touch. The iTunes store needs a generation filter. #
- Video of @redefrecords visit to garage-record-store is like last scene of Truffaut's Fahrenheit 451 if it was about LPs http://is.gd/fIByj #
- "ambient tremors of unease," per A.O.Scott on @facebook film, means lurking online sinisterness not the Reznor/Ross score http://is.gd/fIAdP #
- Plotting a proper Disquiet.com podcast — should I just host it at archive.org or do people have other suggestions? #
- Motor on the Fisher Price Kick & Play is such a great example of rhythm as drone that if it didn't exist @vuzhmusic would have to invent it. #
- "It's reality. Rough edges are good" Director to reality-TV star on debut Law & Order: Los Angeles episode (with Mark Rothko as deputy DA) #
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0278 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures. • 0277 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound."
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice