- I'm interviewing Megan Kelso at noon today at #APE & I made a mini-comic of the Disquiet "Sketches of Sound" series http://ow.ly/i/4CLB #
- Morning sounds: cooing (baby), whirring (computers), stapling (stapler). #
- Best thing about a new Clint Eastwood movie (Hereafter)? New Clint Eastwood score. #
- .@Big_Pause Cool Attenborough clip on tech-mimic lyre bird, especially because of incongruous preceding Medal of Honor ad http://j.mp/b2q8iM #
- There's a bird outside that sounds like tiny fireworks. #eartwit #
- 3 bucks for browser app with dual panes. The iOS business plan can seem like a micropayment economy for every single keystroke and gesture. #
- Squeaky bicycle passing by, or geese passing overhead? #eartwit #
- Downward-torquing score cue in tonite's "Electric Sheep" Fringe ep when Olivia learns senator-shapeshifter isn't dead was totally a Lost cue #
- Playing with soon-to-release upgrade of great music app; pondering how narrative of iterative change is part of app-consumption process. #
- If Win7's marketing plan made us think we made it, the Notion Ink Adam's is to make us think the 1st product is the 3rd or 4th gen already. #
- Great casual set of photos of Ava Mendoza performing live http://is.gd/g2pCC I still need to write about her strong new full-length record. #
- Anyone in San Francisco able to recommend a good turntable-repair shop? #
- ♫ Afternoon tune: a favorite from several weeks ago, the slow-day urban blues of Mike Rotondo's "Goodbye Mission Dub": http://is.gd/g2dTx #
- Baby's gurgles from the front of the house, birds squawking past in the back. #
- Morning sounds: bird song. Quite literally, as in concertedly singular. One bird, one song. #
- New Steve Reich remix contest is cool, but nothing against Bang on a Can, wish they'd used @eighthblackbird track instead http://j.mp/9h6Oxz #
- Susan Philipsz now the first sound artist nominated for Turner Prize: http://nyti.ms/bIhIG9 (Winner to be announced Dec 6.) #
- Wish people would stop saying T-Mobile G2 has "stock" Android 2.2. It doesn't. It may not have a corporate skin, but it lacks Froyo hotspot. #
- Really interesting this Nazi-reenacting-politician story takes place at the same time as this EA Medal of Honor war-play story. #
- ♫ Afternoon ambient stream: "binaural harbour recordings" + "contact mic stuck to…neck of a guitar" http://is.gd/g0TdX by @cjherbert #
- 407,380: The number of horns required to fell the walls of Jericho, according to @wnycradiolab http://is.gd/g0C7s #sonicwarfare #
- Freesound.org has passed the 100,000-sound milestone, in just over five years. #
- Composer Andrew Violette only really likes the second movement of 4'33"; "The others, he says, are too short": http://is.gd/g0u46 #
- New "European sound art network" now centered at http://resonancenetwork.wordpress.com/ and @resonancenet #
- .@tricil @dizzybanjo Partly think Underworld is 100% correct (excepting @justinlassen's point re: contests). Wish stems always available. in reply to tricil #
- Where does Underworld charging $3.99 for the stems in its "Bird 1" remix contest sit on the "prosumer" continuum? http://j.mp/bB10wT #
- Thanks to Megan Kelso for the kazoo background image at twitter.com/disquiet as part of "Sketches of Sound" series: http://j.mp/bA2gqL #
- If you haven't heard, Steve Reich's 2×5 (essentially two rock bands set in minimalist opposition) is available for remix: http://j.mp/9h6Oxz #
- Nearing midnite. Dishwasher, mid-cycle. Washing machine, end-cycle. Both past their prime & all the more endearingly rattly for it. #eartwit #
- .@soundblog Yeah, that's what I'm getting at — for original tweets and retweets. #soundtwit is good. Maybe #eartwit — a little shorter. in reply to soundblog #
- So, @emusic signs up another big label, and raises prices again. Search still abysmal (e.g., can't combine keyword and genre in search). #
- Wanted: A sensible #hashtag for when re-tweeting descriptions of quotidian sound. #twittear #tweetscape #twittscape #twittaural #
- RT @heyexit Urban hum extra loud & spikey tonight. Some pretty serious lightning in the background. Thunder just hangs forever. #twittear #
- Reminder: I'll be interviewing Megan Kelso noon this Sat., 10/16, at #APE Her kazoo drawing will adorn my Twitter page starting tomorrow. #
- Matmos on Wobbly/Lesser collaboration, Simultaneous Quodlibet: "Privileging flows and dissolves over crowded rest stops": http://j.mp/bVJp3I #
- Morning listening: the new Corridors (aka Byron Westbrook) album on Sedimental. Liner notes require headphones or widely separated speakers. #
- Many thanks to Paul @apfrod for having submitted to my music-app interrogation regarding his wonderful ShapeSeq: http://j.mp/shpsq #
- Reply from @creativecommons regarding CBC dust-up about non-commercial licenses: http://j.mp/bNCxsh #
- Tom Phillips show (Flowers NYC: 10/7-30) includes '69 piece in style of his Starless & Bible Black (King Crimson) sleeve: http://j.mp/a9rKH2 #
- Every time I try a different step sequencer, I end up trying to make a fake Alva Noto track. Right now, that's in TweakyBeat (iOS). #
- Something oddly intimate when people's Kindle annotations pop up in Twitter — like they're on the can or in bed. #
- After Fleet Week ("after," he writes, hopefully), that jumbo jet in the sky looks and sounds absolutely lumbering. #
- “I miss the sound of the electric train.” Former army captain Vu Trong Thuan, 80, on the lost Hanoi: http://j.mp/dvKXOz #
- The city of Hanoi, Vietnam, celebrates its 1,000th anniversary today. (I really want to go back. It's been eight years.) http://is.gd/fV8rK #
- .@alexismadrigal "Major estate sale finds yesterday … three-LP set of train sounds"? Please post some of this. in reply to alexismadrigal #
- Ah, there was no cross-browser CSS issue with Chrome; it just needed to be refreshed. This is the start to a good day. #
- Fog horns especially maudlin this morning. They must be mourning Solomon Burke (RIP; b., 1940). #
- Wondering why the photo-caption CSS I devised looks lovely in Firefox, and not so in Chrome. Yet to look at it in Safari or IE9… #
- Looking into @cbc @creativecommons dustup. Interesting Sept 2009 CC doc about term "noncommercial" I'm now digging into: http://is.gd/fUhhT #
- Got new Wobbly/Lesser/Matmos LP from @aquariusrecords but it's too beautiful outside to stay inside and listen to vinyl. Even orange vinyl. #
- Oh to be in Milan, Italy, at the end of Oct: "Field Recording Workshop: 'Movement of acoustic images'" http://bit.ly/9Zra6S via @usoproject #
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time. • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice