- Sony "reportedly ceased production of all cassette Walkmans and will stop selling them in Japan as soon as the current inventory runs out." #
- In this week's The Good Wife, alarm of car being battered by character beats in time with song on soundtrack. #tvsonics #
- In this week's NCIS, binaural audio of recorded gunshots used to identify murderer's rifle. #tvsonics #
- Alarmed, so to speak, to hear Tues-noon city-wide emergency siren on Thurs at 10:20am, not realizing it's a quake drill: http://is.gd/gbvVK #
- Back from Sacramento, where I ran into someone at a concert from whom I had borrowed a paperback book in, like, 1993 or 1994. #
- Cold night, most homes' windows closed, but on walk home there's communal if disparate cheering, no doubt related to Giants game. #
- Digging into advance copy of forthcoming Brian Eno album. #
- The more extremely vertiginous of Wayne Thiebaud's paintings have come to seem, to me, of a piece with Leb Woods's impossible architectures. #
- When visiting Sacramento from San Francisco you need to adjust your ears to filter through sound of (seasonally present) air conditioning. #
- The beautiful extension of the Crocker Art Museum (classic building with sleek contemporary wing) is like an expanded version of @sjmusart #
- Photo of those four great Fred Dalkey portraits of (unidentified) Joseph Beuys at ccasac.org: http://ow.ly/i/4KdM #
- Great quartet of portraits by Fred Dalkey of (unidentified) Joseph Beuys at ccasac.org in Sacramento. #
- Waking to motel's combination of vacuum cleaners and leaf blowers. And news of GarageBand's metric equivalent of AutoTune. #
- ♫ Afternoon tunes: the tasty broken-funk mixes and mashes of Mogillah at http://soundcloud.com/mogillah #
- Hotel sounds: freeway motion, passing service staff's keys, refrigerator rattles, children talking rapidly (correlates with pool proximity). #
- Driving solo to Sacto; recalling what @andybattaglia9 once said to me about moving to NYC from ATL & missing solitude of car surround sound. #
- The noon sirens are echoing formidably today, all 104 of 'em. #
- Headed up to the state's capital (CA, that is) for 36 hours for some research. If anything #sound ish is going on, please lemme know. #
- Rock'n'roll legend Leon Russell: "My hobby is silence" http://is.gd/g8qjV #
- Karen M. O'Leary's amazing cut-out maps: http://is.gd/g8j1S Corresponds well with earlier Jill Silvia spreadsheets & way up @bldgblog alley. #
- When I first read of @tylergreendc re-installing @sfmoma collection I thought it was some cool new web-based application http://is.gd/g8iAV #
- Don't upgrade OS or install significant new software before trip. Don't upgrade OS or install significant new software before trip. Repeat. #
- RIP, jazz saxophonost and Coltrane alum Marion Brown (b. 1935. via @pheezy #
- Alfred Molina was a good Mark Rothko (hampered by script that played for laughs) but I really wanna see his mordant funnyman Morton Feldman. #
- The issue with Android OS for me isn't fragmentation. It's that the root (so to speak) build remains a largely inaccessible Platonic ideal. #
- Two more tracks from forthcoming Brian Eno CD, Small Craft on a Milk Sea, ("Horse," "Emerald and Stone"), now streaming: http://is.gd/g6TX8 #
- Excellent. Michael Brook scored the new David O. Russell film, The Fighter. #
- Jill Silvia's dissected spreadsheets are like Agnes Martin mashed up with Bartleby the Scrivener: http://bit.ly/9fFL9e via @creativeapps #
- Steve Layton, composer & frequent @sequenza21 contributor, has participated in the Steve Reich remix contest: http://is.gd/g5CfL via @aworks #
- RIP, fractal mathematician Benoit Mandelbrot (b.1924), via @osakimandias via @Ihnatko #
- Ooh, not just a new netlabel. A new netlabel from Oakland: @onyudo http://onyudo.com/ #
- #APE highlights: Megan Kelso panel; Justin Parsons' I Ching; Jimenez Lai's architecture comics; new Clutch McB split (w/ Nicole J Georges). #
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time. • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice