- Happy (what would have been your) 110th birthday, Chester Gould (1900-1985), whose comic Dick Tracy helped make Americans tech-gadget crazy. #
- Morning sounds: rain (and lots of it) and coffee, both dripping. #
- .@JosSmolders I wonder same thing. I wonder if permanently recorded music will exist. But "future" is many things, including just tomorrow. #
- In the future, albums will come with related ringtones so that IM, phone, and email alerts will blend/contrast perfectly with the music. #
- A little ">" character appears in @soundcloud browser window when audio plays. I vote all browser windows should have this. Where do I vote? #
- "Massive Light Boner": name of event in Amsterdam I'm proud was promoted in part using my description of Jamie Allen http://is.gd/hrJvV #
- .@robinrimbaud New DeLillo story (ecstatically unnatural dialog, naked econo-social commentary) read like novelization of one of his plays. #
- Relative amount of bad/good, un/enjoyable free music on the web is probably about the same as in commercial releases. #netlabel #sturgeon #
- RT @dizzybanjo I am on the bus with the squeakiest breaks in the universe #eartwit #
- ♪ My favorite drone in some time, for streaming and download: http://is.gd/hqWKd (From Poznań, Poland's Szymon Kaliski.) #
- Morning sounds: hard drives, typing, light rain, the fizz of a Diet Coke in its can (forgot to make iced coffee last night), baby hiccups. #
- Finally got to last week's Fringe, "6995kHz," which did prove close to the dream episode for fans of the show's sonic sensibility. Close. #
- I'd listen to the phone book sung to the melody of the Terriers theme song. #
- Genius Within: The Inner Life of Glenn Gould among the 15 documentaries announced for Oscar short list: http://is.gd/hnBhx #
- Just because you are fascinated by sampling and admire Black Sabbath doesn't mean you'll necessarily enjoy the new Girl Talk at all. #
- .@dylanhorrocks Somewhere I have scans of an excellent early-20th-century pamphlet on how radio kills piano (and I think sheet music) sales. #
- .@tedfriedman Global juke will (emphasis) be cool (I get it's the streaming of which we speak) but it mistakenly views music as fixed object #
- I need a second mouse, for depending on which shoulder my kid falls asleep on while I'm typing. #
- Whenever a music publicist's press release describes a recording as "organic" I like to imagine it employs generative processes. #
- .@tedfriedman Old-tyme habits aside, the future of music (wishful thinking from me) will be reactive: not just temporal; incident-singular. #
- Benjamin Franklin wakes to find Americans generally don't care if their communication is surveilled, only that their privates are private. #
- .@tedfriedman @erik_davis Then again, this could all just be my old-world experiences fogging up my prognosticator goggles. #
- .@tedfriedman @erik_davis Not saying streaming won't grow. We know from TV, radio and museums there's a large audience for temporal culture. #
- .@tedfriedman @erik_davis And: piracy often leads the new-tech way. Not seeing pirate streamers, while file-sharing appears to be growing. #
- .@tedfriedman @erik_davis … but stream-focused future would reverse current course, in which "everything" (more or less) is available. #
- .@tedfriedman @erik_davis I remain uncertain the future is streaming. Pop has largely been disposable to consumers, so there's that … #
- .@erik_davis I let my @emusic lapse. The price kept going up, and the service (most notably search) wasn't showing sufficient investment. #
- .@mystified131 Bring your recorder to the dentist! #
- .@vuzhmusic Yeah, Cheryl Leonard's getting her due, which is great; music's really going places, too. I may post some score images today. #
- New BBC Radiophonic book waiting on the porch (Special Sound, Oxford). Gonna be a long night. #deliaonmymind #
- There's so much static on the radio station playing opera in this taxi, I must be in a Francis Ford Coppola movie. #teatro #murch #
- "One of the dangers of field recording is being attacked by wildlife." Cheryl Leonard is speaking at the Museum of Craft and Design. #
- It's not easy to be polite with a car horn. Guy who just passed O'Farrell and Jones should give lessons. #quietdrivingschool #
- New Don DeLillo story in the new Harper's. Opening graph: "There's no word for it, that sound, pure urgency, sustained, incessant." #
- Really enjoying Kenneth Silverman's John Cage bio. But at 483 pages, it's the best case for ebooks I've experienced recently. #
- Past-retirement-age dude at barber takes delight in Asian Art Museum's $ woes as a win for "real Americans"? http://is.gd/hj0r4 #wowjustwow #
- Plan for today: podcast prep, baby-doc visit, lunch with manga scholar, gallery visit, attend Cheryl Leonard presentation at sfmcd.org. #
- Fun to imagine willful right-wing misreadings, like how @nytimes Dec 4 "Hack Day" is evidence of editorial malfeasance: http://is.gd/hi8FH #
- So, "infant" is from Middle English (enfaunt) via Latin (infans) meaning "incapable of speech"; guess I misused "infantile" more than once. #
- Wife and infant back asleep, cars passing outside with haste, dew dropping (mistaken initially as light rain), hard drive politely subdued. #
- Sonifying 1995 Kobe quake data, Mike Rotondo (Treehouses) criticized for inferred humor: http://is.gd/hglYa Q: When is data disrespectful? #
- Thanks to Croatian author/illustrator Darko Macan for the original sketch that's my current Twitter background. Details: http://is.gd/hfLAb #
- Finally read Jack Hawksmoor "secret history" graphic novel (6-part series). How he's attuned to cities should appeal to phonographers. #
- Wanna say thanks, again, to Megan Kelso for the original kazoo illustration that has served as my Twitter background for the past month. #
- Improvising third monitor by setting writing tool (Dark Room, a WriteRoom/Q10 equivalent) to 75% transparency, turning one monitor into two. #
- Robert Fripp was so deep in looping in late '70s that when he posts non-loop archive audio he labels it a "Non Loop Idea" http://is.gd/hfDTW #
- Mark Morse is documenting various guitar-prep techniques, including wooden spatula and knitting needle: http://is.gd/hfDBW #
- In Windows: Start / Run / Edit. Type like it's 1995. I had no idea. (Thank you, @lifehacker) #
- Almost done with two large-scale remix projects. Will share details when they're truly complete. Very excited about both. #
- The Tuesday noon alarm in San Francisco sounds, and fades for so long you get the sense it's gonna rise up for another round. #
- House especially quiet now that grandparents have flown the coop. #
- How bats (may) hear: different roles for different neurons, "like a basketball team": http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/16/science/16obbat.html #
- .@jaybuls Thanks. Sontag's line re: disaster notwithstanding, bureaucracy at extreme feels like sci-fi. Loud ventilation just highlights it. #
- Increasingly convinced the word "mama" has at its root the sad, curled-lower-lip moaning of an infant. #
- Still haven't found time to watch last week's radio-signal episode of always sonically conscious Fringe. #
- Lotta new "followers." Thanks/hi. I write on sound/music at Disquiet.com, live in San Francisco. I appreciate your tweets re: sounds heard. #
- Jury duty is over, over for awhile — to paraphrase John Lennon. #
- .@npseaver Yeah, cornet taxonomy — the Kelly book includes chart of traits adopted/introduced over time. Also neat chart on helmets. #
- How'd did (and will) the gadget we call the trumpet evolve? We're discussing Kevin Kelly's book What Technology Wants at http://t.co/XstRAg6 #
- Jury-duty sounds: shuffling paper, muffled talk, shifting chairs, the HVAC of a space station. It's like Bleak House meets Solaris in here. #
- Massive trucks are circling city hall here in San Francisco — honking as protest. Can't hear it from the belly of the Court House, though. #
- The homeless in the park wake suddenly from their collective slumber as a fire engine rockets by, siren blaring. #
- .@tommoody Haven't read much of the others you mention, but I love Greg Egan; he's the Thomas Mann of singularity buyer's remorse. #
- Headed to jury duty shortly. Hope to get on, but, "Please explain to the court why you listen to refrigerators hum." #
- Love sound of bus at night. You know where it's going, as it doesn't meander, yet it passes redolent with questions of why, what, and who. #
- Doesn't appear to be a Jack Hawksmoor action figure. That's unfortunate. He's the urbanist superhero, even more than Batman or Spider-Man. #
- That silence in the house when infant is first asleep: city noise comes into focus, but each snore and fidget brings silence into question. #
- Generative sound: noises your parents make when they play with your kid. #
- Reading in backyard to urban score of birds, cars, one car alarm, and for a while a distant hum that must have been someone's vacuum cleaner #
- Now sharing home office with wife, having turned her (former) office into baby room. Acclimating to sound of 4 hands typing. #modernromance #
- House is never so quiet as day after a dinner party (in this case, mostly family: the mutual grandparents meeting their grandkid together). #
- Sign on up, if the culture of free, as it relates to (electronic) music, is of interest to you: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/netlabelposts #
- Epigraph to Kevin Kelly's new book, What Technology Wants, should be first stanza of "No New Tale to Tell" by Love and Rockets. #
- RT @lucas_gonze Loving the ambient noise in this busy coffee shop. Conversation, classical radio, traffic. #eartwit #
- RT @peterkirn Regular sound outside apt: entire racks of office servers, boards intact, being tossed into garbage truck compactors. #eartwit #
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time. • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice