- Morning sounds: baby's breathing, plane overhead, smattering of cars, speedy bus, no birds, no hard drives (yet). #
- The 24-hour video diner near me has closed. Where will I go at 3:30am to watch Splash and have an open-faced turkey sandwich with gravy?! #
- RT @boondesign—Anander mol, anander veig on Boing Boing http://bit.ly/gH776I [Thanks, @xenijardin!] #
- .@ohaliciajo Thank you, Alicia. So great to be able to let people extrapolate on your recording. (@tabletmag @saraivry) #
- Best company name of the day: Algoriddim (makers of Djay for the iPad) http://is.gd/iaime #
- ♫ Hanukkah, night/track 3: @pauladaunt remixes “Sivivon Sov Sov Sov” by @ohaliciajo http://is.gd/hXa01; alt by @ocp_pt_vu http://is.gd/i7DDz #
- RT @ohaliciajo holy crap, remix of chanukah song i covered last year played on today's @wnyc_soundcheck http://bit.ly/feyGR6 via @saraivry #
- "E minor, it's pretty." –Dr. Bishop on Fringe ("Entrada," Dec. 2). #
- "Anander Mol" / "Hanukkah remix" interview with Soundcheck's John Schaefer now up: http://is.gd/i9fAs MP3: http://is.gd/i9Of4 Thanks, @wnyc! #
- .@robsheff Thanks, man! So much fun. Perfect to go from that Atlanta hip-hop book to Diego Bernal's remix of the 4th Ward Afro-Klez Orch. #
- .@defjaf Hope it sounded OK. That was so cool. Schaefer's New Sounds book was pretty core reading for me, senior year of college. #
- Wikileak silver lining? Maybe netneutrality agnostics will take note. Newspapers now introducing people to terms like "IP address" and "DNS" #
- .@tcarmody The title was the literary equivalent of the cover boobs that appeared months later. The article existed to support the title. #
- Picturing the gang affiliations at MP3-blogger Gitmo: instrumental hip-hop kids, indie-rock mopers, exotica aficionados, 78rpm hoarders … #
- Wired overstated the "Web Is Dead" stuff, but Homeland Security site shutdowns & Wikileaks overkill suggest the statement may prove true. #
- I'll be on Soundcheck on @WNYC FM 93.9 (am 820) today at 2:20pm (EST) talking about the @tabletmag remixes. Show details: http://is.gd/i9fAs #
- About that "TV remote control with 50% volume reduction button," I guess Congress has the situation covered: http://is.gd/i97po #
- Thanks, @cyclicdefrost, for 'Anander Mol' writeup: http://is.gd/i93Jk "tonal static" "machine versus Klezmer standoff" "a light hearted joy" #
- Solid thoughts from cartoonist @dylanhorrocks on cultural "ecosystems" vs copyright "raw materials" http://bit.ly/e5veae Samplers take note. #
- It's cool the new @tivodesign remote does full qwerty, but how about a button to reduce the volume 50% when commercials blast on. #
- Looks like I'll settle for some Caol Ila. #
- I'd like a shot of Savage Fowl, please. #
- Sholem Aleichem short story remixed (thanks @mystified131) + 9 other outtakes http://is.gd/i7DDz … Amazing cover art by @boondesign #
- ♫ Hanukkah, night/track 2: Netherlands-based xntrxx remixes Dave Tarras klezmer wedding favorite “Die Goldene Chasene” http://is.gd/hXa01 #
- The Glitch Mob are fun and all, but when I see their name, it makes me wish for a Markus Popp / Kim Cascone / Nicolas Collins supergroup. #
- Arvo Pärt and Eminem both nominated for Grammy Awards. Let's hope for a team-up during the ceremonies. #
- Who knew that 1:45pm is the lunch rush at the nearby dim sum place. #
- .@tobiasreber Wrote bit about Kelly's What Tech Wants at http://is.gd/i6E99. Was in group discussion at http://is.gd/i6EeV. May write more. #
- "Newly discovered Arsenic-based microbe raises possibility of new types of life." Defuses anthropomorphism in Kelly's What Technology Wants. #
- "Newly discovered Arsenic-based microbe raises possibility of new types of life." GOP sees terrorist threat, asks why NASA hates America. #
- ♪ To hear muted sirens played against automated arpeggios is a splendid thing. Black to Comm, live MP3: http://is.gd/i6rSn #
- Klezmer breakbeats? Ambient folk? Creative Commons? Free Hanukkah remix album #4 most-read/commented/emailed @tabletmag http://is.gd/hXa01 #
- Morning sounds: hard drive (desktop's, which gets louder the more I use my netbook), spoon against bowl (from kitchen), baby snores (FTW). #
- A favorite coder-blogger is Jon Aquino of YubNub. He made a video of himself nodding: someone to "rubber duck" ideas with http://is.gd/i4puj #
- ♫ Hanukkah, night/track 1: @markrushtoncom remixes “Maoz Tzur” by Dov Rosenblatt, Rosi Golan, and Deena Goodman http://is.gd/hXa01 #
- Michael Rapaport's 'Beats, Rhymes and Life,' documentary on A Tribe Called Quest, part of Sundance this coming year. #
- Pondering Kip Hanrahan's mastery of artifice in his score to the film Piñero, now up at Perfect Sound Forever: http://is.gd/i3YB8 @jgrossnas #
- The stuff in James Wood's New Yorker piece about how Keith Moon is like Glenn Gould is especially interesting, if overly romantic. #
- But James Wood's "subtlety is not freedom" (after Roth)? From context, I'll assume he means from the adolescent POV. Or he's being childish. #
- "Let My Love Open the Door" comes on bagel shop's radio while I'm reading James Wood on Keith Moon in New Yorker; he's right about a lot. #
- Our remixed-Hanukkah compilation now 3rd most emailed @tabletmag feature, & 5th most read, & 5th most commented http://is.gd/hXa01 #
- Happiness is hearing the garbage truck on an adjacent street, and knowing there are no cans outside waiting in the cold to be retrieved. #
- .@alln4tural I think of the dripping coffee as generative in that it's a rhythm produced as result of a system and is continuously changing. #
- .@alln4tural Thanks. Much appreciated My sense is the dripping coffee would be concrète once I'd recorded it successfully, but I didn't. … #
- .@osakimandias Is National Writing Month followed by National Editing Month or National Pitching Month? #
- A watched pot doesn't boil — and an audiotaped cup of drip coffee doesn't make the same generative beat that it did before you hit record. #
- .@EdieBushwick I forgot Wilde shares his day-of-decease with Pessoa. Thanks. Impressive afterlife cohort: Picabia, Debord, Acker. #
- Listening to Ava Mendoza on a cross-town Muni. Very Jim Jarmusch passage. #
- .@compactrobot I love listening to scores before seeing the film. A new Mansell is always good news. #
- And John Slattery, known later as Mad Men's Roger Sterling, read DeLillo's Falling Man audiobook. Laurie Anderson read The Body Artist. #
- Apparently Will Patton read audiobook of DeLillo's Cosmopolis. May need to listen, with an ear toward updating my essay: http://is.gd/i14WT #
- For @wordpress users (.org not .com) who check Twitter more often than your Dashboard, a new security update has appeared http://is.gd/i13ni #
- On the 75th anniversary of his death, a favorite Fernando Pessoa axiom: "Mute, because overheard." #
- Very weird to re-listen to the Who after hearing their choicest snippets whipped into sonic-MSG frenzy in openings to the three CSI shows. #
- I don't listen to much music w/ words but I dig @david_lynch's dark homebrew pop. Maybe aspiring filmmaker @thelittleidiot can make a short? #
- Having one of those "Which browser tab is making that droning sound?" moments. #modernailments #
- Best email subject header of the day: "Wikileaks to reveal MF DOOM identity" (@stonesthrow) #
- Cool. Hanukkah remix project (all klezmer/folk, via ambient & instrumental hip-hop) now in top-5 most-emailed @tabletmag http://is.gd/hXa01 #
- Tuesday noon alarm. Sirens kick in at slightly different times, leading to overlap and the illusion of echo. It's like a dub invasion. #
- Falling hard for @simplenoteapp. Anyone recommend Win7 alternatives to ResophNotes, Notes for Windows, & GumNotes? #text #sync #cloud #ware #
- Fernando Pessoa, from whose Livro do Desassossego (Book of Disquiet) my Disquiet.com took its name, died 75 years ago today (via @ocp_pt_vu) #
- So cool. Avatar on (verified) @MargaretAtwood Twitter account shows her enjoying Brion Gysin's Dreammachine http://is.gd/i08jB #eyeswideshut #
- Not to knock Daft Punk but I half want Tron to fail to help kill PR/marketing that yokes onslaught of "leaks" to subculture pandering. #
- .@displatypus One strength of @SoundCloud is it's most rewarding for listeners who make music. I'd almost say it encourages participation. #
- Neat crowd-filter project at http://opaqueglitter.tumblr.com/ to determine tracks for Opaque Glitter album. #
- The season-finale episode of Terriers is called, appropriately, "Hail Mary." http://is.gd/i02Mx Good luck to them. Hope it's renewed. #
- Sensing urge to insert #hashtag comments into emails. Maybe a sign that I'll take a needed Twitter-break over the holidays. #presentshock #
- "Closing of GM plant is focus of new musical 'Requiem'" http://is.gd/hXNJc #
- What is Yiddish for "remix"? "Nokhmish"? "רימיקס"? The debate rages politely in the comments here: http://is.gd/hXa01 #
- RIP, Irvin Kershner (b. 1923). When his Empire Strikes Back was first released we lined up so early that the theater added an extra matinee. #
- We Invented the "Nokhmish" — well, not really, but we did remix some Hanukkah (and related) songs for @tabletmag: http://is.gd/hXa01 Enjoy! #
- "since I've met you I've noticed things…I never knew were there before: birds singing, dew glistening on a newly formed leaf, stoplights." #
- Six degrees of prog-pop: Sleazy of Throbbing Gristle/Coil designed covers of 1st 3 Peter Gabriel LPs: http://bit.ly/RIPsLEAZY via @pheezy #
- The drone of two night buses passing, by chance, in front of the house, both making the same half-hearted acknowledgment of the stop signs. #
- Headed out shortly to catch 1960 Yukio Mishima film, Afraid to Die, @new_people #
- Singing Beatles songs to baby when she's awake; reading on ancient British electronic music when she naps. George Martin is common ground. #
- .@countrymarxist Dig some period Delia Derbyshire. #dalek #
5 Most Recent Comments
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice